"No dead spots" Basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by oatbass, Feb 14, 2005.

1. oatbass

Feb 11, 2005
    Can you name basses which have no dead spots? In my opinion basses which has wenge neck/fingerboard or graphite neck have no dead spots, right? It has been one of my chronic problems (My Tobias Killer'B also have dead spot on C# G-string) so I wanna make sure that my next bass is perfect.
  2. stamman5

Aug 10, 2004
    Try a Zon if you have the money. It has a graphite neck without deadspots but still sounds very organic without some of the harshness that I find in some other graphite companies.
  3. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España
    multilaminate necks are less propense to get wraped, wraped necks are the 1st cause of dead spots. Having dual truss rod and stiffening rods will also help to avoid deadspots. The way the wood was cut and the density of it can generate dead spots, usualy good brands and luthiers will use quarter sawn mapple necks, wich i belive is a slice of wood cut from the base of the tree were the wood is compacted by the tree's weight making it more resistant and more dense. Graphite necks (good ones) never get wraped due to the density and complexity of the polimer itself.
  4. Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    Doesnt require those things to not have dead spots, just FYI :)

My Dingwall AB-I has no dead spots at all, and is a one-piece flatsawn maple neck with Pau Ferro Fingerboard (I believe).
  5. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España
    i just said thing like "it will help to avoid" or "being less propense" much more like an info than like a universal law.
  6. Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    We actually posted at the same time hehe. I didnt read your post until after I submitted mine :) Your info is very correct.
  7. Lonnybass

Jul 19, 2000
    Minneapolis by way of Chicago
    Endorsing Artist: Pedulla Basses
    A correction to your statement about quarter sawn wood. It has nothing to do with being cut from the base of the tree "where the wood is compacted." Rather, it's about how it is milled lengthwise through the log.

8. Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    Aye, quartersawn is at an angle to the grain, flatsawn is along the length of the grain.
  9. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    It's been my experience that the fifth-to seventh fret G-string dead spot it prevalent on four stringers, with Fender-sized headstocks. I've rarely seen a problem with fives.

This makes sense in theory because the torsional rigidity is much higher as the necks get wider, and torsional modes are a prime contributor to the dead spot.
  10. Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    I was surprised as heck (it being a bolt on, fender style bass), but my LowEnd jazz doens't have any dead spots. Not a one. The fretwork is just great too.
  11. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    A bolt-on, Fender style five stringer.

Anyone else have the same experience I've had with dead spots in fours vs. fives?
  12. superfly

Aug 4, 2004
    My new MIJ Mustang has no dead spots. First bass I've owned with out any. That includes, MIA jazz,G&L ASAT,MIM P bass, Dirnt bass,etc..
  13. Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    I guess the extra mass could have something to do with it, but the lowend neck is so flat that I doubt it actually has THAT much more mass than a Fender 4 neck. Still, it's possible. Hadn't thought of it.
  14. frigo

frigo burn in hell!

Dec 8, 2003
    WAL MK1... it hasn't deadspots even if you play it with your feet
  15. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    Not a single dead spot on my Flea bass... gotta love carbon fiber.

Of the other basses I've owned, the only one that had a single dead spot was my '97 Warwick Corvette, which had one on the 9th fret of the G string.
  16. mike sancho

mike sancho SANCH

Feb 10, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    Neither of my basses have any dead spots. Both 34" necks.
    The for sure here is try a Zon. Honestly any bass built by any of the top luthiers are checked by by the owners themselves in many cases and just don't have any dead spots. The reputable guys wouldn't ship them.
  17. No dead spots on my maple-necked Spector. :hyper:
  18. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I cant stand deadspots. If a bass of mine has a deadspot, i sell it :-/ My Musicman Sterling has no dead spots, nor does my Godin.
  19. kobass

kobass Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Outside Boston
    I have two bolt-on, 34" scale, four string basses. Neither one has a dead spot-anywhere. One is a Pedulla Thunderbolt (two piece maple neck with graphite stiffening bars). The other is my Lakland Skyline Joe Osborn-a Fender Jazz clone. It has a one piece maple neck with no stiffening bars, so it can be done. I guess you just have to find the right one (or spend some serious $$$). Just my $.02.

BTW, I had the Skyline up for sale here for months and nobody jumped on it. It's perfect! And it's a beauty (natural ash which is now discontinuned, maple board/black pg) Since then, I've "rediscovered" it and decided to keep it. So there!

20. CurbowPete

Aug 28, 2004
    USA Curbows don't have deadspots due to the rockwood neck. Great stuff!