Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

No dice for us.

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by nick g., Sep 17, 2005.

1. nick g.

nick g. Supporting Member

Nov 9, 2003
    Chandler, Arizona
    Yes.

It was a laser tag joint in Gilbert, and we were opening. With the exception of us and one other band, it was an all-screamo/hardcore affair. We started out with an original of ours, which we nailed, and then it was straight into The Four Horsemen (Metallica, for the uneducated). Then it was another original, currently our fastest/ hardest, which got an awesome reception considering our audience. After that we did Symphony of Destruction (Megadeth), our last original of the night, which also fared extremely well. Raining Blood (Slayer), which was supposed to be our last song, blew everything away. We squeezed in Seek and Destroy at the last and pulled it off fairly well while getting a disproportionately good reaction.

The best thing? We've got nothing to show for it, except for my more or less paralyzed neck. The manager of the place thinks it's cool to stiff their opening act that had a crowd of 150+ packed into 100 square feet of standing room. We have another show there on the 7th, for which I tentatively expect to get my fourth of the band's 3/7 take of the door charge.

2. So thats your name on here, Fellow tabbian.

Good job, I havent played a show in so long. Sure wish I had a gig to play, Or a band for that matter... :scowl:

3. Wait...they stiffed you on your pay, and you're going back??? I don't get it.

4. Contract?

5. nick g.

nick g. Supporting Member

Nov 9, 2003
    Chandler, Arizona
    Their deal was that we get paid $3 for every 1 person that comes for us after the first 30... they think we had 25. :eyebrow:

Whatever. A gig's a gig, I suppose.

6. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I'd blow it off. If a place stiffs you once, they will stiff you again.

7. Seigi

Seigi

Jul 3, 2005
    I've got a gig playing Bohemian Rhapsody at my friend's spring concert. No pay, of course. I'm just doing it because I'm really lonely and I need to play.

8. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    Yes - relying on the door count can be unreliable. Mind you, if you've got a bill full of bands and each person is only allowed to mark one (at most) as the one they came out to see, it could well be that you didn't get more than 30 putting your name down - if there were 150 people and five bands, that's an average of 30 each, assuming an even distribution.

It could be the whole economics of the thing is set against you. If you do decide to play there again, put a trusted friend on the door to monitor the counting.

Wulf

9. Always get the money first, then jam.