Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

No Direction

Discussion in 'Ask Michael Dimin' started by Jpat, Mar 13, 2005.

1. Jpat

Jpat

Mar 13, 2005
    Leonardville Kansas
    I've been playing bass for almost 18 years. I started off as a Heavy Metal freak in the 80's playing things like Metallica. I lost interest in those things because to me it's not chalenging enough for me. I have a strong passion to play the bass still, but I have no real direction. What would you suggest?

2. Bassist4Life

Bassist4Life

Dec 17, 2004
    Buffalo, NY
    Jpat,

I used to be a huge metal fan in the 80's too. I played a lot of bass at that time, but I wasn't really serious about my musicianship. I learned tunes from tabs in magazines or books that I bought. I also picked some things up from my guitar friends (since a lot of the bass parts doubled the guitar parts).

Eventually, I began to take musicianship more seriously. I went to college and I got a music education degree. I have been teaching public school orchestra for 6 years now. The stuff I learned in school was 99.9% classical. Now, I'm spending most of my time learning jazz theory and improvisation. It's a whole different world. There are no notes on the page for me to cling to. It almost feels like starting over.

Listen to as many different styles of music as you can. I know that buying music you may not like can get expensive, so hit your local library system. You may be suprised at what they have in their collection. It's always refreshing to get excited about music you've never heard before, or music you never thought you would like in a million years.

I should have mentioned this first; but, find a good teacher in your area. A good teacher can make all the difference in the world. Good luck on your new musical path.

Joe

3. Jpat

Jpat

Mar 13, 2005
    Leonardville Kansas
    Thanks Joe. I'm actually a fan jazz and blues too. Jazz improve has always intrigued me. Theory isn't my strong point though. I just started learning more theory. Application will be a barrier for me because I'm learning after the fact, and my brain and hands are in a set pattern. (if that makes sence) :bassist:

4. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"
    If you are looking to be challenged, then the question arises, what makes something challenging? I am well known for playing all this complicated solo bass stuff and yet I love playing shuffles in a blues band. Are playing shuffles as challenging as playing my solo arrangement of Chick Corea's Spain? - yes, absolutley. Becuase the challenge isn't about what I am doing, but about what the band is doing. Locking in with a drummer so tight that it hurts you in your chest is a huge challenge, REALLY listening to what everyone is doing and being able to play off of them is a huge challenge. Creating the best damn music you can is a huge challenge. The type of music is irrelevant to creating the challenge.

I think you should take a look at the way you approach playing and find new opportunities to grow as a player within any context

Hope this helps
    Mike

5. Jpat

Jpat

Mar 13, 2005
    Leonardville Kansas
    I think that's what I've actually been missing. I spent years growing musically with my friend who is a guitar player up until 2 years ago. I'm used to having that "iron sharpens iron" in my musical life. I don't really try to solo on bass. I love a good groove though. I know what you're saying about that. Thank you again. You gave me a lot to think about.