Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

No Doubt - Hella Good

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Armand Karlsen, Jun 8, 2002.

1. Armand Karlsen

Armand Karlsen

Mar 30, 2002
    London UK
    Has anyone worked out tabs to this tune?

2. old_skool

old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    C'mon, do you reaaaaaaally want to play that song?

3. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

There may be some folks who can help in "General Instruction." Good luck.

4. melvin

melvin

Apr 28, 2001
    Are tabs even necissary? I mean, I figured the song out without my bass near me, the song is like two notes!

If you ask me this is a perfect song to work on your ear, seeing as there are two notes in the main groove and like three in that other part. Why dont you try that?

5. Armand Karlsen

Armand Karlsen

Mar 30, 2002
    London UK
    I've tried gettint it by ear, but it feels too awkward to play..

6. PhatBasstard

PhatBasstard Spector Dissector Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    Not only do I have to play this song in the near future (Our girl singer/band leader loves it) but I also do all the sequencing for our band (no keyboard player and NO internet sequences...99% suck). There are just WAAAAY to many noises going on in that song. I'm NOT looking forward to it.

7. supergreg

supergreg

Jan 20, 2002
    That song isnt that bad. Alot better than there last single.

8. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    "You've got me feeling hella good... so lets just keep on dancin'" :( I think Gwen spent too much time with Eve and Moby... it's weird, 5 seconds of Hella good sound like No Doubt... the "ooh yeah yeah" part. Grrr... I use to like No Doubt. You shouldn't play thing song... play... uhmmm "Spiderwebs"... yeah.

9. Yea..but you gotta dig those little drum breaks..how often do you hear stuff like that in "dance music"... Also her heavy breathing really turns me on....Oh did I just say that out loud?

10. Yea this song is so much better than Hey Baby or whatever their last song was. It still, as someone said above, doesn't sound like the No Doubt I used to like, Gwen HAS been spending too much time with those other people for me to still like them.

11. Gwen is hella sexy and this song is perhaps not a "classic"...it's experimenting with their sound, which I am wholeheartedly in favor of. Basically, if you create music and it sounds good to you, then screw what everyone else thinks. Someone out there will like it.

12. Freakapotamus9

Freakapotamus9

Jun 20, 2001
    Nebraska
    has anybody answered the questionn yet? :rolleyes:

13. melvin

melvin

Apr 28, 2001
    No

14. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

In a way they have - I've heard it a couple of times and it is interesting in terms of "textures" and production. But the bassline is incredibly simple - mostly just two notes - hardly worth tabbing as people have said!!

15. melvin

melvin

Apr 28, 2001
    Exactly! Why would anyone sit down and spend a few minutes showing how to play TWO NOTES.

Learn it by ear, itll be better for you in the long run

16. FalsehoodBass

FalsehoodBass

Jul 22, 2001
    Denver, CO
    it goes C# C# C# D - D D D C#
    or 2-2-2-3- -3-3-3-2 on the B string.

never bothered to play along long enough to get to the chorus.

17. umm, yes

18. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

The song is in one of my band's set lists.

I use an Akai Deep Impact to put out the bass synth parts. It's anything but boring to me and the hook is way more than "two notes." It takes a lot of "feel" if you can sense it.

If you give it a deep listen on a good system, there is an almost subsonic two-note electronic "pump" that keeps the groove going when the traditional instruments don't take center stage.

Done decently, it's a money-song to get club audiences on the dance floor and drinking.

19. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I heard it on Digital Satellite Radio on my big speakers and at the beginning I was going - wow what's that - great sound/groove and then realised what it was when the rest came in.

I think it is interesting, but as you say it's about the groove and feel, plus the interlocking of different parts. None of which would show up on Tabs which have no rhythmic information!

A very good example of where Tabs are absolutely useless! ;)

20. old_skool

old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    coughtabnazicough

:D :D :D