Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

No Elise for me

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Brad Johnson, Jan 14, 2006.

1. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I'm in the market for another car, been looking mainly at used BMW M Coupes and Audi TT Quattros. Had a few minutes to spare yesterday so I stopped by the local Chevy dealer, Criswell, who also happens to be a Lamborghini and Lotus dealer. With the new Exige coming out soon I figured I might as well (finally) check out an Elise.

I'll preface this by saying that I'm a pretty big guy (6'2", ~260 lb.) and my daily driver is a 99 Miata. I opened the door to the Elise and knew I finally found a car I can't fit in. The car had the highest sills I've seen this side of a full racecar.
    After putting one size 13 foot in the cockpit, folding myself in half and contorting my left leg in an almost unimaginable way I actually got into the car (this particular car had the hardtop).

The first thing I noticed was that my foot covered the clutch, brake and accelerator simultaneously. That would make driving a tad tricky. The next thing I noticed was that my right should was near the middle of the passenger seatback. Guess I'd have to drive alone.

Then came the fun part.... getting out of the car, which was much harder to do gracefully than getting in.

I'm guessing the car was made for someone about six inches shorter and 100 lb. lighter. Oh well... looks like a great car on paper.

2. Haha, Ive heard theyre great cars. Im suprised you can fit in a Miata at your height. Im roughly the same height, about 6'3" and Id never dream of fitting in one. Where do you fit your bass?

3. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Not as surprised as I was;)

Believe it or not, I put two basses in gigbags and a spare amp in the trunk.

I also put another amp/tuner in a rackbag on the passenger floor, put a cart on top of that, put a computer bag I use for parts/strings/stands on that and put a coax Bag End 1-15 on the seat...

and have room to easily drive the car. Amazing little car.

4. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I keep seeing an Elise bumpin' around Waco. I think it might be Jeremy Wariner's (the Olympian) but I only got a quick look the one time I could see the driver. It's definitely a car that demands attention!

brad cook

5. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Nice cars surely they are, but not something I would own even if I could fit in it.

-Mike

6. How do u fit in a miata if ur 6'2", and how do u plan on fitting in a TT?

Whats your secret, you do yoga or somthing?

btw go for the bimmer 2nd to best cars on the market in my opinion(mercedez-benz= #1)

7. lbpark

lbpark Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2005
    Mobile, Al.
    I highly recommend a Pontiac Solstice.

Designed by a man who's 6'2". :cool:

8. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    The Miata is easy to get into, once you work out a strategy. The same is true for the TT and the M Coupes I've checked out. The M Coupe prices are all over the place price-wise, in some cases way beyond the book price. Something about them that I really like, even though I've had several folks tell me how ugly they are to them. Good reason for them not to own one I guess.

Guess I have a soft spot for performance hatchbacks.

Recent Mercedes scare me from a reliability POV.

9. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    I plan on using whatever I get as a daily driver along with the Miata. I need some storage space and the Solstice doesn't have much.

10. I feel your pain, Brad. I know how tricky it can be to fit in cars comfortably. I've never tried getting in a Miata. I'll have to try that sometime! :D

11. Pruitt

Pruitt

Jun 30, 2005
    Danbury, CT
    I'm 6'5", 280lbs and I've driven a friends Miata quite a few times. It's one of the few small cars I can get behind the wheel of. Excellent design imho. ;)

12. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    Braddy ole' boy. You need a Rabbit style Volkswagen Cabrio. I'm 6'1.5" and it fits me like a glove :p.

[​IMG]

13. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Go for the TT! That has to be one of my all time favorite cars. One of the coolest designs ever made. Are you looking at the 1.8T or the VR6?

I have a slew of them gracing my desktop right now. :D

[​IMG]

14. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    I have that TT screensaver.

Not interested in the 6 cyl., too new and only comes in an automatic. I'm looking at the 225 hp, 6 spd Quattros... actually seeing some very reasonable prices for older ones. I've only driven one BMW M Coupe but it was a hoot and it was the lower powered 1999 model (225 hp). The 2001 is 315 hp but I think I'd be happy with either one. This one is nice: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...d=1,1&item=4603616071&sspagename=STRK:MEWA:IT

15. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md

I have two convertibles now. Like I said, the Lotus was the first car I've been in that I couldn't fit comfortably. The side sills were pretty ridiculous for an everyday driver. The Miata's cool and my Fiat Spider feels cavernous compared to most of the smaller performance cars available today. I actually have more legroom than I need in the Fiat.

16. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    I'm 6'1 and 250lb
    I was looking for a small cheap car. I bought a hyundai accent. I was very suprise that I had so much space in it!

17. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Sorry, Brad.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    What's the point of getting an Elise....at your size / weight the main advantage of that car, the power / weight ratio would be shot anyway :D

19. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Mercedes ahead of BMW? In what way? Definitely not reliability. For the past couple of years, GM, Ford, Chrysler and Hyundai have all finished ahead of Mercedes in reliability. BMW is way ahead of Mercedes.