1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

No end of tuning problems with an Ibanez Soundgear

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Pawnbroker, Jan 23, 2012.

1. Pawnbroker

Pawnbroker

Aug 15, 2011
    Bellingham, WA
    I have an Ibanez Soundgear bass--I think it's the 300 series--and it just will not stay in tune. It seems to drop half a step by the end of every song. Anyone had this problem? I don't know if it's the tuners or if the guitar's hopeless because of a warped neck or something equally dire.

2. Staccato

Staccato Low End Advocate

Aug 14, 2009
    Alabama
    No. Is the bass (and the parts) like new? Have you changed the strings to flats? Have you changed the tuning from standard tuning?

It would be natural for something else to change if you've gotten creative since replacing the factory strings, or changed the tuning on the instrument.

Please share any details...

3. spigmu

spigmu

Mar 25, 2009
    Brooklyn, NY
    Also, how long has it been doing this? Like Staccato says, if it's a week old bass with brand new strings (or a factory set that was never played) and you've only gigged/rehearsed with it once, I wouldn't worry about it (yet : ) ) If after one more good pounding and a few more days of settling in it's no better, then it won't be as simple as the strings. Then it'll be time to go around it checking things.

4. powmetalbassist

powmetalbassist Supporting Member

Probably has to do with the fact it is a 300. meaning low quality material and likely similar quality in the build. Try a 500+ and the problem may go away.

5. Pawnbroker

Pawnbroker

Aug 15, 2011
    Bellingham, WA
    Think it might need an upgrade, then.

It's been doing it subtly for the four years I've owned it and it's getting worse. I haven't done anything but replaced the strings.

6. Porkbun

Porkbun

Mar 10, 2010
    Stamford, CT
    Try eyeing/marking your tuning heads to see if they are moving. My old Ibbys tuning heads were less than stellar

7. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    - Eyeball the neck. Fret at top and bottom of the fretboard. Look at the clearance of the strings. Is it about a credit card thickness? Does it stay that way over time?

- No offense meant: do you know how to re-string properly? Do you stretch the strings and keep them under tension at the post while winding them? Do you stretch after that several times?

- Have you ever had a qualified tech take a look at it? You could have a problem at the nut where the strings stick and then slip. You might need much better tuners.

Most instruments in the wild - especially those from Ibanez - are stable these days. There Should be a complete solution for this, but it might require a tech to tell you what it is.

The 300 series Ibanez basses are Fine.

8. MarkBC

MarkBC

Jan 23, 2012
    Denver, Colorado
    Might be an issue with the cheaper Sound Gear models. I play on an SR506 and have had zero tuning problems, it stayed in tune for over a week when I was on vacation.

9. droo46

droo46

Jun 16, 2011
    There's nothing wrong the the 300 series. The one I have on the wall where I work stays in tune almost perfectly week after week.

10. Pawnbroker

Pawnbroker

Aug 15, 2011
    Bellingham, WA
    Thanks man; good to know. I'm going to have a tech nearby take a look at it as I've never troubleshot this particular thing.

11. Blind Rat

Blind Rat

Apr 23, 2009
    Here
    I have an sr300L and at first mine went out i found that the grub screws on the bridge saddles were working loose slowly,lowering the action as well.
    A drop of nail polish in the screw holes fixed that as well as a good set of strings(stock were crap)

12. mr.black

mr.black

Mar 4, 2008
    new666jersey
    all strings or just one? how many winds around each tuning post?

13. Mousekillaz

Mousekillaz

Nov 25, 2009
    Anacortes Wa.
    Ibanez are decent basses for the money, tuning should be quite stable. Assuming you have strung it properly, it should stay in tune. Did you make sure the strings cut ends are inserted into the holes in the center of the tuning machines? If not, they will slip.

14. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

Nine chances of 10 that the strings are installed wrong, without the ends inserted into the hole and without enough wraps to hold steady.

15. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    The one bad thing about the sr300 is the screws for the saddle adjustment on many are too narrow casuing saddle creep down from string vibrations. Thats prob whats happening. use some locktite or similiar to stop this saddle creep down on the overly narrow screws. Or not wound right and enough times on tuning peg end.

16. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    This.

It could also be a number of things added together that just aren't keeping the bass in tune. My money is on the string installation. Could also be the nut, the tuners are loose, or the bridge. You did say it's gotten worse over the years. Has it ever had a good setup? Seasonal changes can screw with tuning, and never correctly them will just make it worse during the next seasonal change.

There is nothing wrong with a 300 series Ibby, you don't need to upgrade unless it's broken.

17. MostlyBass

MostlyBass Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Oak Park, IL
    My SR505 has been awesome...It's been a really great bass.

18. Growly Lytes

Growly Lytes

Dec 4, 2009
    Downunder Oz
    Bass player
    What can i say that hasnt been said ?
    Check everything yourself or take it to a pro for a check up.

19. These ideas have helped me:

1) no more/no less than 2 windings on tuning peg

2) use powdered graphite on nut; if you hear clicking on nut when tuning definitely use graphite! (get at hardware for about a $1 or 2)

20. Dug2

Dug2 Supporting Member

Sep 24, 2011
    chicago
    if yer unsure of restringing or set ups; get on youtube and look around. i was
    lucky to get the set up issues i was having under control with the help of the
    good people here. lots of helpful stuff on this topic on youtube