1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

No Fender CS necks available?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by sneha1965, Apr 29, 2010.

1. sneha1965

sneha1965

Nov 7, 2007
    NOVA
    I've been bummed out having to part with my Fender CS '59 RI for three months. I took it to a Fender CS certified technician and he was unable to straighten the neck, and sent it off the Custom Shop for a new one. He told me it would take 3 months!

Does the Fender Custom shop really not have any 59 RI necks they could put on my bass in less than 3 months? I love Fender basses and I don't want this to turn into a flame Fender thread, but I'm curious to know if others have stories? IMO, 3 months wait for a new neck seems unreasonable to me.

2. testing1two

testing1two Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2009
    Southern California
    No, it just means that there's a long list of repairs in front of yours in addition to their already busy building schedule. That's the nature of doing business with such a big company.

3. thisSNsucks

thisSNsucks I build Grosbeak Guitars and Basses Commercial User

Dec 19, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    Grosbeak Guitars
    Custom Shop typically doesn't mean produce a bunch of parts and slap them together as needed.

They probably build specific necks for specific bodies only when orders come in, so they most likely wouldn't have necks on hand.

Sorry to hear that you'll be out for 3 months, but I'd say that not a terrible wait time for half an instrument, and the more labor intensive half at that.

4. No as the others have said the wait time is actually good and the fact that they will
    "make" a neck for you rather than slapping on something thats been lying around the shop is reassuring at the least

5. Dark Horse

Dark Horse

Jul 31, 2008
    Austin, TX
    "Production" Custom Shop models are done in "runs" (unlike Master Builts). They do them in rotation, to facilitate easier construction...they can tool everything up for a couple specific models...and judging by the estimated turnaround time for your neck, the next run of 59 CS Basses will be in 2-3 months.

6. sneha1965

sneha1965

Nov 7, 2007
    NOVA
    I guess it's a bit hard going 3 months without my #1.