"No Fenders" Club

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mmbongo, Oct 2, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mmbongo

mmbongo Chicken Pot Pie. My three favorite things!!

I think we need this!

Yes, I'm a gear snob. I'll admit it. I'm proud to say I've never owned a Fender bass. I always viewed Fender basses as the generic bass that people buy when they just don't know any better. There, I said it!

I'm not sure when this started. My first bass was a GTX I bought in 1990. I then got a Carvin 6 String fretless, and a Warwick Fortress One. Then over the years...you name it, I had it. Just not a Fender. I just never found a Fender I liked. Simple as that. They always felt so funny to me. Years later I looked back and thought 'wow..I have never owned a Fender'. Now I'm sure I avoid Fender just to be avoiding Fender!

Seriously though, I'm not meaning this to bash on Fender. I'm just curious how many others have never owned a Fender bass?
  2. LCW

LCW Banned

Mar 2, 2009
    I owned them and i like a P bass, but i am sure brands make P basses as good or better. I am a big P fan but i also like stingrays, if i could only have 2 basses that be it.
  3. i havent found a fender i liked yet either. played one that was good but WAAAAAYYYY out of my price range.

i dont hate fenders either, just cant see myself buying one.
  4. i can see where you are coming from, but i cant join :) i wanted a jaguar bass since brfore they were made (not incl bass 6 as thats a baritone :p) and ive always loved pink paisley fenders....... so i have one of each :) granted not my 'chosen' basses out of the heard but i'd not part with either.......

however i do hve a sandberg PM5, which i suppose you could class it in the 'generic' fender types?

LOL who am i kidding not even my fenders fit the generic bracket hehe
  5. Floridabwoy

Floridabwoy Supporting Member

Sep 18, 2008
    Jacksonville, Fl
    Peavey Foundation
    Ibanez ATK300
    Sx Pbass refin w. hipshot, darkstar (hope this does not rule me out)

not a fender in the flock
  6. I am currently Fender-less, but this will NOT end well..............:bag:
  7. Tommygunn

Nov 8, 2008
    Houston, Tx
    Oh yes I'll join! 1 EBMM, 1 olympic, 2 squiers

no fenders boys :D
  8. mmbongo

Absolutely not, I would consider that just the opposite of Fender.

Maybe there's just something wrong with me. After I started the thread I sat here trying to figure out where my anti-Fender behavior came from. I just don't know.

I mean my first real bass was a Carvin 6 string fretless. My 2nd real bass was a Warwick Fortress One. Who the heck starts out like that???

Heck, the first guitar I bought was a Paul Reed Smith CE24 which I bought in 1994! I've never owned a Fender guitar, either. I still have that PRS. Wish I still had that Warwick.
  9. I like this idea. I've never played a Fender I've liked (but I haven't played a Steve Bailey 6- but is that even a Fender?), I like the P-Bass sound, but the feel of a Fender kills me.

I'll sign up.
  10. ive played the best of the best and down(fender) and all of them seam to need more upgrades than id like so,nay on fender basses,i do love their guitars though
  11. mmbongo

And just to clarify, I'm not talking about a 'jazz bass' or a 'p-bass'. I'm talking a Fender branded instrument. Heck, I have an ESP 'jazz bass', and it kills any Fender you'll ever see :) I've got my eyes open for a 'p-bass'....would love to have another old ESP.

I also have a G&L...that's as close to Fender as I've ever come.
  12. I love fenders just think without Fender there wouldn't be an electric bass.
  13. your idol

your idol

Oct 13, 2008
    Columbus, OH
    +1 hope all goes well, and you have a right to choose, but a club for people to dog the reason the electric bass exists:eek: lets hope this club hands out flame retardant suits at the door.

good luck and IBTL:smug:
  14. Jonyak

Oct 2, 2007
    Ottawa, Ont
    I had not owned a fender up until recently, I took the dive and bought one off a fellow tber... turns out its a really nice bass and I use it almost exclusively.

its not as well made as my stingray, or my 55-01, but it has a vibe neither of them does.
  15. audiovox made the first mass produced electric bass guitar...
  16. Laredo

Nov 27, 2005
    Upstate, NY
    A club I can't join! May G.A.S. over the years has made me eligible to join most clubs here on TB. With over 30 Fenders, there is no way I will get in this one! :bag:
  17. your idol

your idol

Oct 13, 2008
    Columbus, OH
    the wright brothers made the first plane too...but im not gonna lie ill ride on a boeing, thanks.. theres a difference between "first" and "nailing it" :bag:
  18. Tommygunn

Nov 8, 2008
    Houston, Tx
    Idk if they did or not but fender's clame (which is true) is their bass was the first to be commercially sucessful
  19. and id have to say that the second g&l started selling their products, all fenders became completely obsolete
  20. so your saying leo fender was the only man in the world who ever could have come up with the concept of the electric bass?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.