Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

No front plate?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Davidoc, Jan 26, 2006.

1. How many here live in states/areas where front liscense plates are required on cars, and don't use one? Have you gotten pulled over and given a fix-it-ticket, or is it usually ignored?

2. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ
    my experience here in new jersey is that people are usually given a written warning

3. LajoieT

LajoieT I won't let your shadow be my shade...

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    Here in Massachusetts we used to have green on white plates that didn't have fronts, rear plates only, but they've been switching people over to red on white plates ( or all the little fund raiser plates that every state has now...) so I'm holding on to my green and white single plate untill they rip it off my truck.

I guess that really has nothing to do with your question, but it's sort of on-topic...:bag:

I just think that a LOT of vehicles are designed without any thought to the front plate, and becuase of that there are some butt ugly things they bolt up there to hold it when needed like it was some last minute thing that came up.

4. Phil Mastro

Phil Mastro

Nov 18, 2004
    Montréal
    Quebec, I believe, is the only province in Canada where you don't need (or can't get for that matter) a frontal licence plate. We can't get vanity plates here, so I guess it leaves the front open for that.

5. PEI doesnt have front plates either.

6. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    Ohio makes you have a front plate, and I have heard of $90 citations for "improper display" for not having one.

In MS, you have 7 days before you need ANY kind of plate on a vehicle :eek:

7. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    NY requires a front plate.

I got stopped years ago because my Z-28 didn't have a front plate. The car had originally come from Florida (they only have a rear plate) so I didn't have a front plate bracket, or the holes drilled in the bumper cover to support a bracket.

After searching my car (amazing what happens when you have long hair and drive a fast car) he let me off with a warning.

I (reluctantly) wound up drilling holes thru the bumper cover and installing the plate.

8. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    I have them on two of my cars (fronts are required in TX), but don't have them on my Corvette. I don't want to deface it! I have the front one in the car (a tip from the previous owner) but I've never been stopped.

9. It is generally ignored in the rural areas of Colorado. My youngest son carries his under the front seat. My thought is that while front plates are pretty much useless, why give a zealous cop an excuse to stop you.

10. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    No front plates in PA.

11. Add Alberta, Saskatchewan, PEI, Newfoundland and Nova Scotia to that.

12. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I've gotten numerous warnings, and one ticket here in Texas. I played an opener in College Station and was driving home, rolling through Houston right at 2 a.m. I was only doing 10 over on I-10, so I was SURE that once the officer ascertained that I hadn't been drinking he would wave me on with a smile. No such luck. Got the speeding ticket and one for no front plate. That's the kinda stuff I expect from a small town cop, not in planet H, for gosshakes!

When I traded in the old sports car for another sports car, I had some car buds ask me when I was going to lose the front plate. 'Not this time!' was my reply.

13. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    No front plates in Indiana.

14. eric atkinson

eric atkinson "Is our children learning "Is our teachers teachin

Feb 4, 2001
    Joplin,Missouri
    Missouri is horrible! I never had a problem because I drive jeeps. But my mother bought a Lexus and it had NO place to put one. She did not have it on for about 2 weeks and she got nailed and got a $50 ticket. The officer told her that she need to get holes drilled into her front to put it. She said the hell with that and ended up getting 6 more tickets before she traded the car back in. Lexus paid for her tickets and said they were sorry and would fix the problem next time. I was floored! But you must relize that my mom could be the twin sister of carla on cheers!

15. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

It's the same in MICH.

16. sbocaj55

sbocaj55

Feb 11, 2006
    Blacksburg, VA
    YEAH PA! where you from in PA?

17. I'm considering buying a car that was not designed with a front plate in mind. Do these tickets affect your insurance at all or go on a record?

18. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    Impressive Lexus would do that! I thought most every manufacturer had a special bracket that could be ordered for any car. My last van didn't have a bracket and I was too cheap to buy one, so out came the dewalt and it was a done deal.

19. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    My brother had three 3000GT's. The third one he owned never had a licence plate bracket in the front. It's required here in NJ, but he had it displayed in the front window and never had a problem.

20. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Required in MD. the only place I've had a problem was in DC of all places... they gave me a ticket for not having a MD front plate displayed. I immediately drove over to Traffic Adjudication IIRC and showed them that my front plate had been knock off in the snow.

The front tag bracket on my Miata is drilled directly into the plastic one piece bumper. I guess in that light ANY car is made for a front tag... just drill two holes somewhere in the front of the car.