1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

No G&L's in Michigan!

Discussion in 'G&L Bass Forum' started by RicPlaya, May 12, 2006.

1. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    The Mitten
    I called all the dealers in Michigan listed on the G&L website. None of them have G&L's in stock to try out..but they can order me one. I have not even had the chance to put one of these in my hands. I'm sure I will love one if I do..but I will not make a bass purchase untill I play one. JB2, L2k, L2000, ASAT...who knows which bass I would like best if any? Anyone know of a dealer in northern Ohio or Indiana that has some in stock I can go try out?

2. lug

lug

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
    You will like the G&L L2000 with the number 6 or number 8 neck in blueburt the best, trust me.

3. craigb

craigb G&L churnmeister Supporting Member

No, he'll like the SB-2 in trans blue w/a #6 neck, satin finish w/rosewood board. Really . . .

But seriously RicPlaya, you are right to want to check them out first. While every G&L I've had (and there have been a lot) exhibited the same great build quality the different models definitely have different characteristics (and there is variance between individual instances inside the models as well - but not as much as between model types IMO). While I used to look askance at G&Ls without MFD pickups my experience with a JB-2 has cured me of that. Now I just look askance at any that don't have a #6 neck or are cherryburst (and that's just personal preference).

4. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    The Mitten
    I'm sure i will find one i like. But which one...4 or 5 string? Jazz bass or regular....#6 or #8 neck? I need to goto a store and spend some time with all of them...

Anyone?? Where can I go not super far from Detroit?

5. lug

lug

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
    If you go 5 string, you will greatly simplify you neck options because there is only 1 neck available for 5 string, the number 10 that has a 1 3/4" nut and a 12" radius. There is no 5 string jazz bass option, either. There is only the L2500 and the L1505 (single pup version).

Here is a link to G&L's page:

http://www.glguitars.com/frameset.htm

Lot of info under "options"

6. rrybicki

rrybicki Innocent Bystander Supporting Member

RicPlaya,

PM sent.

Russ

7. There is a small dealer in Fort Wayne who has several G&L basses in stock. Fort Wayne Guitar Exchange.

260-471-0200 Ask for Travis. Tell him Brad Jones sent you.

Good guys.

8. Chris Rhoades

Chris Rhoades

Sep 19, 2004
    San Antonio Texas
    Endorcing Artist:BNA Audio, Boothill bass strings.
    Get an Asat, and you will be happy.

9. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    The Mitten
    This sucks...I don't want to drive over three hours to play these basses:meh:

10. Chris Rhoades

Chris Rhoades

Sep 19, 2004
    San Antonio Texas
    Endorcing Artist:BNA Audio, Boothill bass strings.
    I think Woodwind and Brasswind has them in Southbend.