No gain, just pain

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by heavyJams, Nov 4, 2002.

1. Ok, so the rig I'm using right now is my Series I Carvin R600 head and a (I assume) series I Carvin 4ohm 2x10 cabinet. I'm sending my Fender MIA Jazz with active lace sensor pickups into the active bass input. The thing is, with the db cut off (maximum level of signal is what I'm saying here), I can't really get the gain past about -3 on the amp without it clipping. I keep the volume full open on my bass. I can make my sound louder with the power amp volume knob or with the master volume knob on the amp, but shouldn't I be able to take the gain above -3? It just seems odd to me that it clips if I take it further. Any ideas?
  2. The DB pad is there for a reason, it is supposed to be used when you are plugging in a bass with active electronics. So in answer to your question no you really shouldn't be able to get it above -3 when you are running a bass that hot into a passive input.

Mike Linkletter
    The Thirteenth Hour
  3. Sprinkler

Sprinkler [account disabled]

Jul 31, 2002
    Well; a Gain buttons puts more voltage on the circuitry and since you've got a fender active bass (hot output) bass there, there's already a good amount of voltage on it. To much voltage=> clip