1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

No Gibson Basses for 2016? Whats the deal?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by growler571, Mar 16, 2016.

1. growler571

growler571

Sep 19, 2007
    I was just on Gibsons website and the only bass they have listed for their 2016 catalog is the Gibson Les Paul Bass. Are they discontinuing all their other models like the Thunderbird, SG, EB Bass etc? That sucks if its true. What is the deal does anyone know for sure?

2. Doctor J

Doctor J

Dec 23, 2005
    Gibson don't love you, me or anyone here. Behold the cold wrath of the corporate profit-driven beast.

Ikkir, PortlandBass77, Gabbs and 6 others like this.
  3. At NAMM they had a whole set up of 20+ instruments you could plug in and play without asking anyone, all were guitars. Not 1 bass was in the Gibson room.

TalHaz and spaz21387 like this.
  4. rockscott

rockscott

Aug 28, 2010
    massachusetts
    If you find a gibson bass you like, snap it up and keep it! I wouldnt have believed it a few years ago, but now i really would not be shocked to see gibson basses go away altogether? I snapped up a beautiful sg two years ago, a keeper for sure!

lancimouspitt and spaz21387 like this.
  5. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    They're taking a bass break. No big deal but I do hope they get it together.
    Other than that, I can still buy this and it does everything the Gibson does for one third the price.
    2vblnjo.

Mike A, ed morgan, Ikkir and 5 others like this.
  6. jakelly

jakelly Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2009
    I really do regret selling my non-reverse. :( The one in the picture. It was a really nice bass.

MCF and Londo Molari like this.
  7. Xandrell

Xandrell

Aug 23, 2014
    Gibson's bass line up is now called Epiphone. :D Sorry, I couldn't resist.

8. johnson79

johnson79

Jan 8, 2010
    Lancaster, PA
    Exactly. I would never spend the money on a Gibson Thunderbird when this is available.

9. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    Lot of love for the Jack Casady bass, too, and I like the Rumblekat, especially in the new color.
    Are Gibson versions even available? Midtown is nice.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2016
    Freez and StayLow like this.
  10. GIBrat51

GIBrat51 Innocent as the day is long Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2013
    Lost Wages, Nevada
    T-Bird 3.JPG Well, that's nice for you. Unfortunately, Epi doesn't make (and never has, far as I can tell) anything a lefty can use. So, we have to wait until that other company condescends to make a few of these (my 2013 T-Bird)...:)

johnson79 likes this.
  11. Old Blastard

Old Blastard

Aug 18, 2013
    Virginia
    I like that Gibson Les Paul bass with the f-holes and semi-hollow body. I'd like it more if it wasn't $3,000 plus. Maybe Epiphone will come out with a semi-hollow LP bass.

12. Given how well *ahum* the 2015 was received (guitars and basses), I can imagine that Gibson has stockpiled enough instruments to cease production for a couple of years.

Az_Rocker76, physics and Solar like this.
  13. johnson79

johnson79

Jan 8, 2010
    Lancaster, PA
    My wife and son are lefty, but fortunately neither play an instrument! It's a shame there aren't more options for lefties, especially since Flanders closed the Leftorium.

bullitproof and Bajo Clarkko like this.
  14. Xandrell

Xandrell

Aug 23, 2014

I would get that.
    I like the white ones as much as my black one.

20160211_194805-.

BlueAliceOasis and jd56hawk like this.
  15. Lownote38

Lownote38

Aug 8, 2013
    Nashville, TN
    I guess Henry likes basses just about as much as his employees (not very much if you're wondering).

16. wmhill

wmhill

Aug 20, 2012
    upstate NY
    MTD basses endorsed artist Bartolini pickups emerging artist TECAMP bass players gear endorsed
    sales dictate production. If they were selling, Gibson would still be making them.

17. Rumors were running wild last year. I was really hoping that this rumor would be true! Nope, just a rumor.
    2015-Gibson-V-Series-Bass-in-Natural-0.
    I has a disappoint.

Snibborwocky likes this.
  18. funkymonk13

funkymonk13

Aug 22, 2014
    Im kinda bummed about this. I was hoping they'd be introduced at some point for 2016 but it doesnt look like it. Gibson basses get a lot of hate but theyre pretty great. I own an EB bass from 2013 thats pretty awesome. Also had a faded SG that I loved but unfortunately sold.

lancimouspitt, StayLow and Ductapeman like this.
  19. stretch80

stretch80 Supporting Member

Jan 31, 2005
    The EB basses are very nice (not that I've bought one ...) They may have enough stockpiled. My Epiphone Capitan fretless 5 is great... ;-)

20. bassstrangler

bassstrangler

Mar 2, 2015
    I just got a Epiphone EB-3. One of the nicest sub $400 basses I've ever played and the quality even though Chinese made is superior to my MIM standard p bass. So who needs Gibson? Epiphone is doing an excellent job.

EdO. and the_fooj like this.