1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

No gig tonight...

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by stubborne, May 27, 2011.

1. stubborne

stubborne Supporting Member

Oct 22, 2009
    Rock Hill, SC
    Drummer called in sick last minute. Not a big deal usually but drummer owns the PA in this band. Club owner real cool about the deal, even tried to help us find a sub.

Disappointed for sure but taking the boy to see Hangover II instead. He just got his license, so we're hitting the Cinebarre (full bar)..

ROCK ON!!!

Stu-

2. It sucks having a gig cancelled at the last minute. You get all in a mind set to go play and then all of a sudden you don't get to. It happens to most of us for various reasons. Enjoy the time with your son instead!

3. stubborne

stubborne Supporting Member

Oct 22, 2009
    Rock Hill, SC
    Most definitely a silver lining..

Really was looking forward to this one. It was a psuedo-reunion gig with a gui****ist I had gigged with for many years but have been separated from for almost as many years. We had a really cranking rehearsal, dusting off about 40 songs... The kicker is I was the original sickboy and infected the drummer the week we had rehearsal.

We have a couple of gigs lined up, so all is well and the most triumphant reunion will indeed transpire!!!

Stu-

4. JTFormula

JTFormula

Jan 20, 2011
    Brick, NJ
    The rule we have in my current band is unless you are on your death bed, there is no reason to cancel for a simple cold. The show must go on. I was in another band and the one guy bailed on us two days before a gig for a similar reason, we never played that joint again. The club manager said it was cool on the phone but then he never asked us back or returned phone calls. If you commit to a gig, you commit, no matter what. If you think about it, they have less entertainment now for the crowd and not enough time to book a new act.

At least you get to spend family time, which is the most important thing.

5. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    How does one bail 2 days before a gig because of illness? How do they know that they wont be feeling better the day of the gig?

Ive played gigs while suffering (bad) from tonsilitis, spitting up blood on the warehouse floor between songs, in 2 bands back to back. The only time I had to cancel a gig because I was sick I, literally, could not stand up. I left work early hoping to get some rest and had every intention of playing through. Two hours before the gig I was worse than I was earlier, and couldnt get up without fainting. I called the guys and told them to have our rythym guitarist fill in on bass (since he's also a bass player). Id have showed up if it meant cancelling the gig for everyone else, but no way would I have driven in that condition.

6. JTFormula

JTFormula

Jan 20, 2011
    Brick, NJ
    That was my point exactly. That's why its called show business, with emphasis on BUSINESS.