1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

No good deed goes un-punished!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Fishheadjoe, Sep 26, 2017.

1. I'm sure that most of us have heard this saying the past. I held little faith in this saying until this past week. My son lost his wallet on the bus. There was little to no money in the wallet, about $20.00. What it did have was his brand new student ID card.
    We got a call from the transit authority that someone had turned in the wallet. We would have to go to the lost and found to retrieve the wallet. Lost and found is located centrally, in the heart of down town Toronto, a three day drive and a boat ride from where I live.
    So, last Friday, I loaded myself and my son into the Flex to retrieve the wallet. I had to park in an under-ground lot as there is virtually no street parking in the area. As I am leaving the lot, wallet in tow, my front right tire hits the metal curb, it was a tight turn and ripped the side wall out of my tire. We made it home, but the tire was no longer safe.
    $320 for a new tire installed!
    Sunday we took my mother in law for dinner, 82 years young! It was an enjoyable dinner and my kids love spending time with their grandmother. It wasn't until Monday morning she realized that when she was digging in her purse for something, her makeup bag fell out. I now have to retrieve her bag from the restaurant.
    So, I am now a firm believer that no good deed goes un-punished!
    Feel free to tell us about your good deed and how it worked out for you!!!!
    Fishheadjoe

2. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    Well, you hit the curb. The unpunished good deed thing is when something bad happens that's not your fault. But regardless, that sucks and I'm sorry.

3. Well, I could have sent my son there on his own, but thought I'd be a good Dad and take him there... and I was fully prepared to make dinner on Sunday, but thought it would be nice for us to take out my MIL... so the good deed bug bit me! LOL
    Fishheadjoe

4. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    I could list them for days.....

I once pulled someone out of a ditch using tow straps. I was worried about scuffing the paint on their rear bumper so I asked them to hook up their car while I hooked to my truck. They did. I mentioned that the strap might scuff the paint the way they had it hooked up and they said they weren't worried about it and just needed to get out of the ditch.

Fair enough. Let's do this.

Of course, we got them out of the ditch. Paint got scuffed. They flipped out and said I had to pay for it.

As I drove off, I told them to jot down my license plate number and pursue it if they felt the need. I never heard from them.

I don't give beggars cash. I am willing to help in any way I can....food, a ride, heck even clothes if you need them etc. One night about 3 a.m. after a show I stopped at a gas station. There was an older lady and a young girl standing outside. (Looked to be grandmother maybe) The lady asked me for some money for food. I offered to take them inside and buy whatever they wanted. The lady refused. I knelt and asked the girl "Are you hungry?" (She had the most beautiful brown eyes I had ever seen.) She timidly nodded yes.

I went inside and got what I needed. Then I went across the street to McDonald's and got a bag full of food and a couple drinks. I brought it back and offered it to the girl first. The lady started raising a fuss and even called "a friend to come deal with me". I have never been so angry in my life. I (calmly as possible) told that lady that the girl and I were going to sit on this bench while she ate until she couldn't eat anymore. If the "friend" wanted to come to talk to me, come on. Bring it. The girl and I chatted while she ate (she was starving). We laughed and cut up after she got comfortable with me. Next thing I know, a deputy pulled up. The lady had called the Sheriff. She went on and on about how I was harassing her. I never stopped chatting with the girl. When the officer came over, I told my story. At first, he thought I WAS FULL OF CRAP. I had to convince him that my version was true. When he started questioning the girl, I said "She's been through enough having to deal with this piece of work tonight. If you need to cuff me, let's go. Otherwise I'll be leaving." He RELUCTANTLY said I was free to go. I left the food and told the officer it was for the lady if she wanted it.

This was the third time I had gotten into a similar situation with a lady using a child to get money. One other situation was at the same gas station with a different lady and child. That time I bought the child a sandwich inside and still got fussed at.

People suck. But I'm not going to stop trying to help because they suck.

Tbone76, NigelD, mbasile and 6 others like this.
  5. blastoff99

blastoff99 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2011
    SW WA, USA

This.

Neo1 and two fingers like this.
  6. The "friend" was her dealer who she was going to call to buy drugs after you gave her money.
    You simply avoided having any connection whatsoever to a drug deal going down in the presence of a child.
    Did they take the food anyway? I hope the little girl got something to eat out of it all.

I recently saw one of these guys on the island in a busy intersection with the cardboard sign, you know, not asking for money outright but holding the cardboard sign. Funny thing about it was that the whole time, he's on his cell phone. Made me kind of wonder what his billing address is, or which credit card he uses to pay that bill.

I once had a guy try to hit me up for gas money in a store parking lot.
    Then not 20 minutes later, the same guy hit me up for gas money in another store parking lot several miles away.

A woman asked me for money for gas. I asked where her car was. She told me the location which was about a mile away. She then said her small child was sick. I asked where the child was. "He was in the car." So you abandoned you small child in a car to walk a mile to ask people for what? Gas money? Money for medicine for your child? I pointed out that there was a church across the street and perhaps they could help. She just got mad and stormed off. And not in the direction of the church.

I feel like a cold-hearted SOB when I refuse to give money to them.
    But there are shelters where they can get help. And if I thought for one minute that they really needed money for gas or bus fare to get to the shelter then I might try to help. But when their stories have holes in them so big that you could drive that bus through it....

Tbone76 likes this.
  7. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    I sat there pretty much "guarding" here while she ate. I wasn't leaving until she was stuffed. :D

I feel bad, like you. But I still offer to help any way I can except cash.

It's really hard now that my 8 year old girl can read. I am having a hard time teaching her that most of these people on the side of the road holding "homeless" are scams. Some day soon I will take her with me when I stop to offer them help. She'll get to see first hand how they only want cash....not "help". As for right now, I'm fine with her thinking all humans are nice. She's a kid. I'll let her be a kid a little while longer. (Yes, I have trained her with regard to strangers.)

I once worked for an electrical contractor building a hospital. We needed green helpers pretty badly. We just needed more hands, even if the brain knew nothing about electrical work. There was a guy outside holding a "Homeless - need work" sign. I stopped at lunch and told him we were hiring like crazy and even paid per diem so he could get a hotel room next door and walk to work after a hot shower. He claimed it would "mess up his disability" to work unless it was under the table. So, he was "disabled" but looking for labor work to get extra money. Gimme a break. :rollno:

Tbone76 likes this.
  8. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2011
    When i lived in town it was a rare weekend i was not out working till after 2AM on friday and saturday nights. Just up the road from my little attic appartment was an all night grocery store with a decent deli so it was often my last stop on the way home. It was also a rare thing to hit the grocery store in the wee hours and not be panhandled. One girl in particular was regular enough i recognized her after the first couple times she ask me for money to get medicine for her child. The first time she hit me up i offered to go with her to the drug store (also all night and next door to the grocery store) and use a credit card to pay for her child's medicine as I had no cash. She refused and after a couple more failed attempts to get cash from me, she told me to procreate off.

I guess she was too high to remember me the other times she approached me with the same request for help with her child's medicine. I'm sorry to admit i took a certain amount of pleasure in offering her the same advice she had offered me on our first meeting.

Sadly she was just one of a steady stream of people trying to get well hanging out in that grocery store parking lot in the wee hours.

two fingers likes this.
  9. Gaolee

Gaolee Official leathers tester and crash dummy

I don't feed the pigeons. When I was in college, a guy with a really distinctive scar came up to me with tears in his eyes, a bus schedule, and a story about how his mother had died a few hours earlier in a crash and that he was trying to get back to where he had grown up. I didn't have anything, but I probably would have given him everything I had at the time. A few days later, I was walking back from the train station with a few friends, and the same guy came up, same story, same bus schedule. My friends were horrified when I asked how many mothers he had to kill off.

That completely soured me on handing over cash to anybody with a sob story. I'll give food, I'll donate to specific charities, and all that, but I won't hand over cash to anybody begging.

.We are overrun with beggars for the time being, and I think a lot of it has to do with drugs. Cash gets converted to drugs, and it ultimately doesn't do anybody any good. Yeah, I have become a nasty, cynical old crank.

10. DirtDog

DirtDog

Jun 7, 2002
    The Deep North
    I hired a student a few summers ago. One very wet and stormy day, I noticed he was about to hop on his bicycle and ride it home in the storm. I said, if you don't want to get soaked and/or hit by lightning, put your bike on my roof rack and I'll drop you off at home. So I pull out of the parking garage (to load the bike on the roof rack). As I pull out of the garage and over to edge of the parking lot to load the bike, I hear a CRUNNNNCH sound.

If you're curious, that's the sound of the the side of my car connecting with the 2' high concrete barrier at slow speed near the exit of the parking garage.

Fishheadjoe likes this.
  11. RoadRanger

RoadRanger Supporting Member

Feb 18, 2004
    NE CT
    :wideyed:

12. I feel your pain!
    Ok, it was a bit of a joke, but it's at least two hours return trip for me...
    Fishheadjoe

13. Now if I saw this guy on the street, I'd slip him a few bucks.:cool:
    WGFF.jpg

Gaolee and kodiakblair like this.
  14. @Old Garage-Bander

That's Newcastle's Ojay in his Peavey Dynabass days :)

Can never find him any time I visit "The Toon"

15. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    Masks, people, masks!
    Song Surgeon slow downer.
    Life is an adventure...:thumbsup:

16. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2011
    While I was already pretty hardened by the time I started making semi regular trips out west, on one of those trips a guy at the foot of an off ramp somewhere in the LA area renewed my confidence in my fellow man.

He was holding up a sign that read "Why lie I just want a beer". I caught a green light down the ramp and couldn't stop to give the guy some cash, but he had quite a collection of beers at his squat so apparently his approach was somewhat effective.

17. slobake

slobake resident ... something Supporting Member

tumblr_ms963qIbHm1sdzyf0o1_400.gif

18. MrLenny1

MrLenny1

Jan 17, 2009
    New England
    $320 for a new tire?
    Yikes.

19. Yup! I just replaced all four last fall to the tune of $1400.00!!!!! No many manufacturers make the size required for a Ford Flex and I am starting to believe in collusion between them because they are all priced in pretty much the same way.
    Fishheadjoe