Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

No good stores here.....southwestern PA

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by twangchief, Dec 23, 2004.

1. twangchief

twangchief Supporting Member

Oct 30, 2003
    Altoona, PA
    Help me out!

I'd like to try a few cheaper six string basses that are out there but retailers around here rarely even stock the five string basses. Does anybody, within an hour driving distance of me, have the following basses or similar that I could try out?

Spector Legend 5 or 6
    Brice long scale 6
    Tune 6
    Conklin Groove Tools 5 or 7

Thanks,
    Twang~~~~

2. andysvec

andysvec Supporting Member

Aug 15, 2004
    Guam
    cool, western pa guys! I'm originally from Irwin, exit 7 on the pike. Just down the street on route 30 from greensburg, hows the weather now? Don't ask how I ended up on Guam, long story... This time of year I do miss the snow though.

3. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    You're pretty much hosed. I lived in Connellsville (Fayette Co.) and frequented Panny's in Mount Pleasant and Trombino's in Belle Vernon. I believe both are defunct. There should still be a handful of retailers in the Pittsburgh metro area. Good luck!

Riis

4. Copycat

Copycat Supporting Member

Nov 14, 2000
    Pittsburgh, PA, USA
    Slim pickins on this side of the state. If I were you, I'd go to that little town of Bethlehem (it is the season, y'know) to Guitar Villa. Take the day off. Traverse our great and majestic Commonwealth. Because trying to find anything but the lowest common denominator bass gear in the west is a thankless and fruitless pursuit. That's why every piece of gear I own was bought from an out of state party, some of it custom and most of it on reputation only without ever being tried or heard (two Stambaugh basses, an AccuGroove Whappo Jr. cab, etc.). Good luck on your search, but I think travel is in your future.

5. twangchief

Oct 30, 2003
    Altoona, PA
    I've finally realized that. The GC in Monroeville has has the same midrange basses for two years and the only rotating stock is the cheap Ibanez stuff. Oh well, a trip is in the works. I took some vacation all next week. Where do you suggest?

6. twangchief

Oct 30, 2003
    Altoona, PA
    Yep!! I've bought some keyboard stuff from there with the same experience. I might check them out along with Hollowood and Custom Guitars.

7. Copycat

Copycat Supporting Member

Nov 14, 2000
    Pittsburgh, PA, USA
    Pianos 'N Stuff has quite a bit in the store, but, and I can't fault any retailer for this, they stock the brands that will move, and that tends to be the most expected, common stuff. I don't know this for sure, but I imagine you'll find Fender, Ibanez, Ernie Ball Music Man...nothing wrong with that, but if you want to try out some gear that isn't the typically available stuff, you might not find what you're after. Hollowood was affected by the flooding of a couple of months back; don't know what their current situation is. There is/was a music store out off of Route 30, off the turnpike going east from Pittsburgh, that has/had a lot of stuff (I'm using past tense because I haven't been there in years so I don't know if they even exist anymore), but they had a nice selection. I don''t have that county's phonebook or I'd look. Is that Westmoreland County? Maybe somebody who posts here and lives east of Pittsburgh might know the place I'm thinking about. But Philly, given its reputation as something of a bassist haven (was there a Weather Report bass player without a Philly tie?) would be the place to look. Guitar Villa, as I said, would be one place to call. They are in Bethlehem, which is in the Philly area, a bit further east. Another place you may want to call is the Bass Palace (basspalace.com). Quite a bit of used/vintage but they also sell some brands of new basses as well. If you want to stay in SW PA, the Pianos 'N Stuff recommendation is a good one. And there always is the option to buy online as long as the store has a liberal return policy.