No ground on jack

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Gustopher, Jan 15, 2022.

1. Gustopher

Gustopher

Jul 30, 2018
    Howdy! Just received my new Audere Jazz preamp and settled in to install it when I found something interesting. I took the control plate out of my MIM Player Jazz and lo and behold… there is no ground attached to the output jack. See pic below;
    I hadn’t take this control plate off when I bought it and noticed it was a bit noisy when not touching strings or bridge but my home has a ground issue so I assumed that was the culprit and moved on. I played out with this bass a couple of times and never really noticed it being noisy at those venues, so it’s definitely odd to find no ground attached… unless this is the way it’s supposed to be? I have ground wire from the bridge and both pickups. Anyone seen this? It isn’t really a problem, if I reinstall that control plate I’ll hook up the ground myself, but it seems like a pretty big thing to forget at the factory lol
    3C4E2353-E14E-429B-BFF2-BEDD5CCF17F6.jpeg

Reedt2000 likes this.
  2. JKos

JKos Supporting Member

Oct 26, 2010
    Surprise, AZ
    Yes, that is how Fender did it for a while. The metal of the control plate of the ground connection.

3. Reedt2000

Reedt2000 Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2017
    Central New Jersey
    The plate is the ground, Fender has done that for many years, works fine. You could run a wire to the jack if you want, with the plate as ground if the jack loosens up you might get some noise.

Spidey2112 likes this.
  4. As has been said it was, maybe is, standard Fender. Works fine until a mounting nut starts to loosen up.

Spidey2112 and Reedt2000 like this.
  5. Gustopher

Gustopher

Jul 30, 2018
    Cool, this was new to me so my last fender was a 90s model and a pbass… so this was something I hadn’t seen. Thanks everyone! It makes sense honestly, if there was no ground at all I would have had noise at those venues (at home doesn’t count, it’s always a little noisy in there)

Spidey2112 likes this.
  6. Actually, Fender did and maybe still does use a piece of foil tape over where the jack and pots go as ground on Pbasses.

Reedt2000 likes this.
  7. dwizum

dwizum

Dec 21, 2018
    If there were no ground to the jack at all, your bass would be silent when you played - the ground is required for the pickup circuit, regardless of it's role in shielding and noise reduction.

I'll echo what others above have said - this works great until you have something come loose. If any of the pots or the jack itself loosen up in their mounting nut you'll get internittent signal issues. It can be frustrating.

I know you said you're replacing the electronics, but a few thoughts on that photo:

When I have a bass wired like this on my bench, I run a separate ground wire across the solder points on the backs of all three pots and route it directly to the ground lug on the jack. Just make sure it's routed away from the actual contacts on the jack so the jack tip doesn't bump the wire every time you plug in.

One other thing to note while we're at it - the jack in the photo has correct orientation - with the long contact for the tip oriented towards the pots. If you open a bass and see it pointed any other way, it's worth turning the jack until it's as pictured. Jacks with that contact pointed in other directions can cause intermittent shorts against the cavity shielding.

Also worth cleaning the tip contact on the jack while you have it open. It looks like yours is starting to get some corrosion build up. A pencil eraser is a good tool to scrub it clean, then a quick wipe with rubbing alcohol on a q tip or paper towel.

Gustopher and Reedt2000 like this.
  8. Griev

Griev Infinite enthusiasm, zero talent. Supporting Member

Aug 30, 2008
    WA/BC Border
    I just wanted to say that an audere in a one of those players is just such good taste. :D

PXL_20211226_093013115.jpg

Gustopher likes this.
  9. Gustopher

Gustopher

Jul 30, 2018
    Nice! Great minds, eh? How’s the bridge? That’s something that I hadn’t looked into yet but did it make a difference on yours?

dwizum likes this.
  10. Griev

Griev Infinite enthusiasm, zero talent. Supporting Member

Aug 30, 2008
    WA/BC Border
    My action is beautifully low with no buzz. I love this bass.

To be honest tho, I didnt even try to set up the bent plate. I always put KickAss bridges on if I have the means.

Gustopher likes this.