No hand buzz

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Lingering1, May 4, 2001.

1. I have been getting excessive buzzing through my amp when I'm not touching my strings. I have plugged my bass into another amp with no such noise. I have tried several different power outlets and I'm using a surge protector. I have switched patch cords and still the buzz is there. I have turned the horn all the way off on my amp and this does reduce the buzz, but does not stop it. Does anyone have any further suggestion to track this down??? I notice a tread by CraigD that sounded very similar and sent him a PM, but have not received a reply.
  2. ASR

Apr 2, 2001
    Houston, Texas
    Do you have a noise suppressor? Your strings will still vibrate even if you aren't plucking them and some amps will pick that up.
  3. I not currently using a noise suppressor. I'll give that a try. Thanks.
  4. stevekim

Feb 11, 2000
    los angeles, ca
    i may be wrong, but this sounds like a grounding problem to me. does the buzz go away when you touch the strings? many basses have the ground wire connecting to the bridge, when you touch your strings this completes the ground and the buzz should go away.
  5. The buzz does stop when I touch the strings, but I tried my bass on a different amp and got no such noise. That's why I'm no longer certain it's a ground problem with the bass. Could my amp just be that much more sensitive than the other I tried??? I've never used a noise suppressor before and find it odd that I would need one to run a bass straight into a combo amp. I've noticed 3 or 4 others that have had this problem and no posted solutions. Hope I can find one.
  6. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I have an old Peavey Foundation bass with single coils, and through some amplifiers it has the same symptoms as yours, and the switching the ground lift switch on the amp cures the problem.

A lot of amplifiers have a ground lift switch. This may cure the problem if switched the correct direction.

Some have a 3 way power switch that is labeled + OFF - or something similar to that. Try the switch in the + and the - position and see if that makes any difference.

Other amps that I have seen have ground lift that is not on the power switch. I have seen these labelled several different ways, but the most common IME is + NEUTRAL -. Same thing. Try the switch in all positions.

A lot of the tiome, if the amp has a ground lift, switching it around will cure the problem.

If the amp does not have a ground lift, it could be a wiring problem where the amp is plugged in at.

You said that you have tried your bass through a different amp and it didn't make the buzzing sound. Is the amp located in a different room or building? If so, try your amp where the other was pluged in, or bring the other amp home and try it in the plug that your amp is plugged into.

If your bass only does it through your amp, and it does it when you take your amp somewhere else and plug it in, it is your amp. If the problem is present with the other amp plugged into your power supply, it is a wiring problem.

There is also a chance that the bass does have a grounding problem as stevekim said, and that the combination between your bass and your amp enhances the problem, while the other amp does not.

The best way to find these problems is try one thing at a time, and use the process of elimination.
  7. My amp only has a ground lift for the direct line out and not for the amp itself. I'm going to take your advice and take my whole setup to a different location this weekend and start the elimination process. If it's a problem with my bass and amp together I can see that being a chore to track down. Hope I get to the bottom of this soon.
  8. No, not near any of those. I know the trouble both of those can bring ;) Going to take my whole rig to a local shop tomorrow so I can test different amps, basses, cables, ect. and hopefully get to the bottom of this. Thanks to all of you for your help!! I'll keep you all posted as to the solution (if I find it) :)
  9. sounds like a grounding problem to me to.
  10. I.'.I.'.Nakoa

I.'.I.'.Nakoa Guest

Aug 10, 2000
    Fort Worth.
    how do u fix a grounding problem?
  11. Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Woodland Hills, CA
    you ground your electrical power.

My garage, where I play, is not grounded. It makes my Carvin buzz, snap, crackle, pop... etc etc... so I plugged my power into a power strip. Then, I plugged a power plug into the power strip that only had a grounding wire in it. Then I ran that wire outside through a small hole I cut in the back of the garage. Then I soldered it into a metal pole that I drove into the ground. My weird sounds went away.
  12. That is why they call it "ground" or "earth". All those annoying little free electrons running around your amp and bass are attracted to the planet, which is just a big ol' peice of iron ore anyway.
  13. Thanks to all of you for your help. I took my whole rig to a different location this weekend and plugged up as usual, the buzz was still there. That meant it was not the wiring in my house (whew). I then switched patch cords, still the buzz was there. I then switched basses and the buzz was gone. A bad ground/shield job on the bass was the answer. Now many may recall the fact that I had plugged my bass into a different amp and the buzz was not there. Apparently my amp is much more sensitive than the other I tried. Just a heads up, when swapping amps in a ground test try to use an amp as close in quality to yours as possible. Thanks again guys, you all rule!! Now, I'm off to thump ;)