1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

No high end. Did I blow my tweeter or my crossover?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by brian v2.0, Jul 18, 2012.

1. I have a Schroeder Mini 12+ that I just replaced the 12 inch speaker in. I have played a couple of gigs with it and it sounded fine, but tonight I took it out tonight to an open jam night that I co-host and noticed that I have no highs whatsoever. I usually play with a good bit of treble and do a fair amount of slap. Needless to say, without any highs I was a bit lost.

I started smelling a funny smell at one point so I decided it was time to call it a night. When I got home I plugged the same bass into the same amp but with my 2x12 cab instead and it sounded fine.

How do I tell if I blew the tweeter or the crossover?

Thanks in advance!

2. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    What exactly did you replace the original spkr with?

3. I called Jorg Schroeder and he sent me a new B and C Neo.

4. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    Possibilities are filter, l-pad and tweeter. The tweeter itself is most often the culprit.

Take it out of the cab. You can check it's resistance with a meter. You can battery test it IF you rig up some wires and use a little AAA. 1.5 volt. 9 volt is enough to fry it if it's not already. You can also take it off the horn and take the driver apart and look at/smell the diaphram (coil).

You can often times get replacement diaphrams for much less than a whole new tweeter.

Sniff the l-pad too. Checking it with a meter, it should read something close to 8ohms throughout most of it's dial range.

None of this applies if it's a peizo.