1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

No high end sustain with wristband at the bridge-help!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by anonymous073020131, Apr 18, 2009.

1. anonymous073020131

anonymous073020131 Guest

Jul 9, 2008
    I was just reading the reggae bassist thread (kudos to the o/p, that's a sweet thread)) which revived a lot of my interest in reggae bass playing. So, I stuffed a wristband near the bridge to get that reggae bass sound- sounds thumpy and delicious on the lower three strings, but anything above the 12th fret on the g-string is pretty much sustain-less. Is this normal, or am I just being stupid? Many thanks

2. NOVAX

NOVAX

Feb 7, 2009
    Kalifornia
    Whattiyah doooin Mon playin aboff da twelf fret?
    Keep it don low Mon an all will be irie.

3. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    I never seem to need to go that high when playing Reggae.

4. Alcyon

Alcyon

Jan 15, 2008
    Vancouver, BC
    Yeah man, what the hell are you doing playing above the 12th fret on the G string?

5. 20db pad

20db pad

Feb 11, 2003
    I been everywhere, man...
    None. At all.
    The lack of sustain is totally normal and in some cases desirable- see above posts re: playing reggae above the 12th fret.

6. You get as high as the !!!12th!!! fret?

7. dannster

dannster

Aug 20, 2000
    Seattle,WA
    Ummmm....... Stuffing damping material under the strings and hoping for any sort of sustain is just... smiley_rofl2.

8. One Drop

One Drop

Oct 10, 2004
    Swiss Alps
    Actually, most people who put a mute under the strings leave the G unmuted. That's the way I learned and it seems common practice.

9. thisSNsucks

thisSNsucks Supporting Member

Dec 19, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    I usually cut a piece of foam and stuff it under the strings by the bridge. I just make sure I cut a little bit more under the G string to balance it out. Its usually the lowest string (in terms of action) so it would make sense to lower the mute just a tad.

10. broadblik

broadblik

Aug 10, 2008
    Sheffield, UK
    Dis mon speek da troof.

11. Brian D

Brian D

Dec 2, 2004
    Dublin, Ireland
    That's the whole point of it! Jeez....

[​IMG]

:D

12. anonymous073020131

anonymous073020131 Guest

Jul 9, 2008
    Haha ok, admittedly, I was playing a rock tune when I noticed there was little sustain above the 12th fret so it should be fine for all things reggae. Thanks for the clarification, though. I just can't get over how thumpy and awesome it sounds muted!

13. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    this thread made me lol.

I agree with the other guys. Stuff foam or whatever under the E A and D strings, then, if you're playing the G, use your left hand to mute it!