1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

No holes for bridge cover on 1977 P-bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Rodney Shuffler, Nov 6, 2013.

1. View attachment 373089 I just bought a bass online, I went back looking at pics and noticed there are no holes for the bridge cover.....that seems odd to me. I'm certain someone can line me out on what's up with it. It's got a Duncan pup and I'm certain the pickguard is aftermarket, was probably black originally. What do you guys think? Link below to ad that's still up. [​IMG]

http://www.gbase.com/gear/fender-precision-bass-1977-sumburst#

2. wild4oldcars

wild4oldcars

Jan 22, 2012
    Garner, NC
    maybe a refin with plugged holes?

3. Owner of the store thinks it's possibly a 1980 body with a 78 neck, he said he did verify the body is Fender and the pots were 1976 when he had it apart. At any rate, he's gonna have it intercepted and refund my 1300 bucks......he missed it as well, real nice guy who seems like he does business the right way. Shame, 1300 shipping and all seemed like a good price. I'm still hoping someone with more knowledge on the subject can weigh in...could be something he and I both missed. If it could all be authenticated I'd be cool with it.......

4. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    It's not a 77. Those late "S" serial numbers were used up for several years. So I think this is going to be more like an 80/81 bass.

5. porterbass

porterbass Supporting Member

Jul 11, 2013
    Chicago
    To me....something is up with the tuners, yes? Shouldn't a P or J in this era have the german-made tuners with "Fender" stamped on them?

6. 2cooltoolz

2cooltoolz Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2009
    Lake Conroe, TX
    I'm not able to venture an opinion on authenticity or value, but that is a Beautiful damn bass!

7. Dluxe

Dluxe

Jan 9, 2011
    Austin, TX
    Looks to me like an Ibanez or Aria lawsuit body with a Fender neck. The tuners are probably off of the same bass. The burst just isn't right for a Fender of that period. I think you were right to get your money back.

8. It IS a beautiful guitar, and I want to reiterate the store owner has been super to deal with......good guy. I'm sure he'll get it back in his hands and get things figured out.

9. That is a 1980s squier SQ body. Notice how the bridge is also not correct for a 1977 fender? Check the burst on the back, see the wood? that is sen ash common on 1980's squier SQ and JV's. Now if you were familar with these you could even see how the light chipping and buckle rash really matches with paint wear on SQ's, it was a a thin poly.

Moving on the tuners also match those of a SQ or some Japan made Fender of the 1980s. If were 1977 Tuners they would be stamped Fender.

Its all a guess. I wasnt even alive back then but to me I would put money on that being a SQ/JV squier Japan Body and other Japan hardware and I am 50/50 on the neck being authentic because fender japan necks back then really matched the 70s USA necks well so a new logo could have been added, I think only JV's had maple fretboard though.

10. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    Endorsing artist: Dingwall Guitars
    That bridge sure is shiny and new looking, innit?