Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

No idea about setup

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by The Artist, Jan 7, 2003.

1. Can someone plz explain to me exectly how to setup my bass (those knobs). I know that each knob is for each pickup but how do I get surtain sounds. I've just allways gone by what sounds good to me, but I have a crappy amp and if(when) I use a better one it will play a bigger role. How can I get more sustain, POWER, and any other form of tone.
    THX
    SCODI

2. Oh yeah, I have an Ibanez GSR200, if that makes any difference...

3. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

How healthy is your wallet???

Not to be snide, but you can't get blood out of a beet.

Upgrading your pickups/preamp is one way without buying a new bass/amp. However, their costs plus the installation costs by a tech often equal that of a better bass/amp.

Putting on top-quality strings is the cheapest, easiest, way to improve your tone and add some volume.

4. ...I knew i should of left out that last part, I didn't really want to know how to get more of that stuff, I have a compressor for sustain and so on, but thx anyway. I really wanted to know more about "those knobs"
    Thx for your help
    SCODI

5. I think i might move this to Misc. I am unsure of how this relates to setting up your bass..... If i am wrong, send it back!

:D:D

Merls

6. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    I think that learning how to set up your instrument would get better responses in the "setup" forum, so 23-skidoo.

7. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    lol, thread tennis!

8. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    The knobs on your bass? Your amp? Your compressor? Doorknobs? :confused:

9. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

......your sweetie ???

10. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Heh... lemme tell you what those are NOT for. Hoo boy.

11. This is why i lobbed it over to Misc MR. ;) I gathered he doesnt want to know how to setup the bass, but what "those knobs" do, this isnt the setting up of the bass, it is more Miscellaneous knowledge about the bass itself.

Merls

12. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    I think I moved this thread on the strength of the word "Setup". I kind of glossed over the knob thing.

I guess it all boils down to knowing how to ask the right questions. One would think a person's inquisitive enough to do some experimenting...

If Scodi comes back with a diaper, talcum powder and safety pins, I am out of here!:p

13. Wouldn't this go to Basses since it is specifically about his bass and its features?:confused:

14. DCman

DCman

Apr 7, 2002
    UK
    you've probably already seen this, but here we go anyway:

[​IMG]

DC :)

15. Ok, I seem to be missunderstood (thinks: who's Miss Understood:D :rolleyes: ).
    What I wanted to know was... I wanted to know more about how you can turn "those knobs" (on the bass) to get curtain sounds (tones). Like for example how you set it up.
    Do you'all get me now.
    Sorry about the missunderstandings, my english isn't THAT good. I've lived in germany too long.:)

Thx
    SCODI

16. Ahh well thats what i thought you meant. Thats not really setup as such. Thats more exploring the tonal functions of your bass guitar. Not necessarily the setting up of harware like bridge, neck, action, truss rod etc etc.

I'll try moving this to basses....

Merls

17. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Ok, I'll give this one a shot. First, you have to remember that the term "setup" is usually associated with other things bass related, like your setup (bass, rig, etc.), or how your bass is set up (action, intonation, etc.), not what you set your bass' control knobs at. Another thing to remeber is that the control knobs on every bass are different and do different things. I believe DCman showed an accurate diagram of the controls of your GSR200.

Your front pickup is a P, so for a fatter, thumpier tone, keep that one on full and turn down your bridge pickup.

Your bridge pickup is a J, so for a growlier, mid-sounding tone, keep that one on full and turn down your front pickup. Mix and match the two until you find a sound you like.

You also have a passive tone control, which basically will cut the treble if you turn it one way or cut the bass if you turn it the other way. It really won't add or boost anything unless you change your preamp or electronics to active as rickbass mentioned. You are not going to be able to add sustain with your knobs. You also aren't going to be able to add much power because of the kind of electronics your bass has. According to your profile, you don't have an amp and you play through your hifi. That ain't gonna help you any.

18. Thank you for clearing things up, that exactly what I wanted to know. :) :cool:

SCODI

19. Problem Solvered! (aussie joke ahem) So i finally got the right forum.. pheewww sorry for the thread tennis SCODI. ;)

Merls

20. there are 3 small screws on the head just abouve the neck. Are they to ajust the angle(?) of the neck?