No idea what amp and cab set up to get!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Mr_Shrapnel, Jan 19, 2005.

1. Mr_Shrapnel

Mr_Shrapnel Guest

Mar 20, 2004
    Hey how’s it going? My problem is this: I really need a new amp and cab set up, because my old peavey combo which my brother gave me, just doesn’t cut it anymore. However, because there are SO many choices, I don’t really know where to start! So if you could give me a few suggestions, that would be perfect! Basically I need a cab and amp both around 200watts or more, but ive only got about £300 to spend on each (so £600 all together - I guess I could stretch to £700)
    Any advice or recommendations would be great. Thanks!
  2. r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    Letting us know what sort of music/bass(es) you play would be helpful.
  3. protoz

Nov 30, 2000
    So you're looking to come up to a full rig, right?

What are your needs? Are you in a band? If so do you gig where high output is needed? Also what amps do your band mates use.

Any idea on the sound you need? Pedals?

This is a lot of stuff but it can help us figure out what you need. I'm an Avatar cab guy but they don't ship over seas yet.
  4. Mr_Shrapnel

Mr_Shrapnel Guest

Mar 20, 2004
    ok, well im in a band. and i guess we only really play quite small gigs. kind of like a large pub size. something like a 2-10 would be ok to start of with cos atm we are having a short break from giging, so when we start up again, i can just get another cab, like a 15 or something. i need something which is quite versitile and can achive a wide range of tone. from smooth and deep, to more brash grindy tone too. (but dont worry too much about the sound, cos i just need a starting point so i can try a few set ups out out) i dont use effects.
  5. Mr_Shrapnel

Mr_Shrapnel Guest

Mar 20, 2004
    oh yeah, i play alot of different syles of music really: jazz reggae, ska, punk, hardcore, psychobilly (yeah i know i need a double bass!) metal, funk...whatever i we like really. oh and i got a 1989 fender precision. seriously ANY recommendations would help alot, cos there are just so many options! thanks