Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

No idea what amp and cab set up to get!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Mr_Shrapnel, Jan 19, 2005.

1. Mr_Shrapnel

Mr_Shrapnel Guest

Mar 20, 2004
    Hey how’s it going? My problem is this: I really need a new amp and cab set up, because my old peavey combo which my brother gave me, just doesn’t cut it anymore. However, because there are SO many choices, I don’t really know where to start! So if you could give me a few suggestions, that would be perfect! Basically I need a cab and amp both around 200watts or more, but ive only got about £300 to spend on each (so £600 all together - I guess I could stretch to £700)
    Any advice or recommendations would be great. Thanks!

2. r379

r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    Letting us know what sort of music/bass(es) you play would be helpful.

3. protoz

protoz

Nov 30, 2000
    Iowa
    So you're looking to come up to a full rig, right?

What are your needs? Are you in a band? If so do you gig where high output is needed? Also what amps do your band mates use.

Any idea on the sound you need? Pedals?

This is a lot of stuff but it can help us figure out what you need. I'm an Avatar cab guy but they don't ship over seas yet.

4. Mr_Shrapnel

Mr_Shrapnel Guest

Mar 20, 2004
    ok, well im in a band. and i guess we only really play quite small gigs. kind of like a large pub size. something like a 2-10 would be ok to start of with cos atm we are having a short break from giging, so when we start up again, i can just get another cab, like a 15 or something. i need something which is quite versitile and can achive a wide range of tone. from smooth and deep, to more brash grindy tone too. (but dont worry too much about the sound, cos i just need a starting point so i can try a few set ups out out) i dont use effects.

5. Mr_Shrapnel

Mr_Shrapnel Guest

Mar 20, 2004
    oh yeah, i play alot of different syles of music really: jazz reggae, ska, punk, hardcore, psychobilly (yeah i know i need a double bass!) metal, funk...whatever i we like really. oh and i got a 1989 fender precision. seriously ANY recommendations would help alot, cos there are just so many options! thanks