1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

no idea what im doing with amps

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by cham, Jun 30, 2007.

1. cham

cham

Jun 30, 2007
    Believe me, I've looked high and low on this forum and frankly, it's overwhelming. I'm move up from my crappy practice amp and up to nicer rig. I have about 1000 dollars to spend on a head and a cabinet. My band plays a variety of songs. I'm just looking for a set up I can practice with as well as gig with. Suggestions? ^^ Thanks.

2. PB+J

PB+J

Mar 9, 2000
    arlington va
    You can practice with any rig--just turn down!

1000 bucks ought to be more than enough

You might want to give us some more variables--how loud is your band, what kind of music, etc.

In general, you want to be around 3-400 watts for gigging

Do you want a combo amp? Or a head and cab deal?

Speaking for myself, I've found that using a markbass mini CMD 112 (a 1x12, 3-500 watt combo) I can cover just about any gig I get. For gigs that need more volume, I add a second cab, usually a 2nd 12

3. Slaphound

Slaphound Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2003
    Staten Island, NY
    What would these componets cost?

4. cham

cham

Jun 30, 2007
    We play a lot of rock music where we like to crank it up. :p I was under the impression that a head and cab deal meant more control of the sound as opposed to a combo amp? Correct me if im wrong. Also, what kind of crowd can that markbass mini CMD 112 cover?

5. cham

cham

Jun 30, 2007
    so I'm thinking about getting an LMII with a standard 152HR or a Standard 104HR. Are 4x10 or 2x15 better?

6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 7, 2021