No idea what kind of pedal I'm looking for

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Derio, Dec 21, 2005.

1. Derio

Dec 6, 2005
    Saint George
    Hey, I'm new to bass (7 months) and definitely new to anything that has anything to do with bass. My problem is this - I'm playing in a band, and we have one song where me and the drummer play a riff by ourselves to get the rythym going before the guitar comes in with the same beat.

The riff uses a lot of open E (tuned to D) in between each note on the 2nd/3rd string. The problem is, the volume of the open string drowns out the notes preceeding them.

I'm sure playing technique could make this work better, but I'm also looking for a solution for future stuff -

Is there anything to perhaps make the mid or higher tones stand out more, and apart from the open, lower note?

Hope this makes sense, hah..
  2. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

A well adjusted equalizer could take care of that but it's a very bad solution to a simple playing issue.
    You want to balance your attack to even out notes.
    Make sure you mute the string after playing the note.
    Playing power chords rather than single notes in the highs could help, too.
  3. dirtgroove

Jan 10, 2003
    Taipei, Taiwan
    You don't need to spend money to solve this probem. Muting the E after playing will stop it for you. Evening out your playing will help you. Be wary of scooping (bass and treble up, mids down) the eq on your amp as it will not help the audible definition of each note- if you have more than one note ringing iat the sound time it may sound very muddy.

so all in al l .... erm.....
    what Jazz ad said.
  4. Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    You need to work on your fretting hand muting... that will solve the problem :)
  5. Derio

Dec 6, 2005
    Saint George
    Bah, you guys won't let me be lazy! =P

I appreciate it though, really...

Guess I'll have to slow down and spend some time on that.
  6. Lowtonejoe

Lowtonejoe Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Richland, WA
    1. Try adjusting your pickups. Move the side(s) that are below the low E string down (further awayfrom the strings).

2. Work on your technique. Learn to play evenly when you want and how to accent your notes when you want.

3. Get a compressor. Easiest way to get spectrum-wide eveness in tone but you lose your dynamics.