1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

No Idea

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by FilTurd, Nov 14, 2017.

Tags:
  1. FilTurd

FilTurd Supporting Member

Dec 13, 2015
    Pacific Northwest
    So I have no idea where to post this or how to start the question. So here it goes....Has somebody developed a software program that identifies individual notes? If so would you post the name of the program..

2. Frank Tuesday

Frank Tuesday

Jul 11, 2008
    Austin, TX
    There are different ways to do it. You can use a .wav to midi or mp3 to midi converter. There are many, of which I have used none, so I will refrain from commenting any further.

Ableton has an audio to midi converter that works well. I played a G#13(b11) chord and it correctly identified all nine notes in the chord.

Melodyne, Autotune and other similar programs can as well. These also allow you to change the pitch of notes after the fact.

3. FilTurd

FilTurd Supporting Member

Dec 13, 2015
    Pacific Northwest
    Thank you for the info. It's very helpful. I have been placed on disability and have a lot of free time on my hands at this point. I'm just looking into things to keep me busy that focus around music and sanity...

el jeffe bass likes this.
  4. mutant

mutant

Nov 2, 2017
    Hi, I'm not sure if this is what you are looking for, but Reaper has a plugin called ReaTune which I believe can identify notes in real-time. Here is a video showing an audio to midi feature.

FilTurd likes this.
  5. silky smoove

silky smoove

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    As others have suggested, anything with an "audio to MIDI" function will get you what you need. How well they track and translate the audio into a MIDI note is largely dependent on the quality of the software and the intelligibility of the recorded audio. If it's a stereo mixdown of more than one source it's going to get tricky for any software to do a good job regardless of how high quality it is. An isolated track of one instrument, ideally playing single notes rather than chords should be a cakewalk for any modern audio to MIDI converter.

FWIW I use Melodyne with great success for this application.

6. derrico1

derrico1 Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2005
    Charlottesville, VA
    What are you trying to accomplish?

7. DirkP

DirkP

Jan 18, 2013
    Hamburg, Germany
    A tuner?
    Many tuners don't just show if you are in tune, they show the name of the individual note you're playing in real time.