1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

No jam metal, but Metallica is OK.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Depth_Charge, Jun 15, 2007.

1. I'm was a huge Metallica fan when I met my missus. In fact, if it wasn't for Metallica I'd have never learned what a guitar was or how rock music was made! Yes, I was that ignorant in my youth!

Now, some of you may remember my control poll. I just tuned down to play and learn "All Over You" by Live, then figured hey I'm tuned down, why not jam some Slayer for a bit. 213, Dead Skin Mask, then...

"Shut that crap off you know I hate it!!". OK babe :)

(tuning back up)

What about some Metallica then? "Sure OK I don't like it either but you know I don't have a problem with you listening to Metallica". :confused: :hyper:

So I jammed Am I Evil first. :bassist: :bassist: :D

Now, if someone cares to explain to me why despite her hate for the metal genre in general she "allows" Metallica to be played or listened to whenever I want, usually within earshot I would be intrigued to hear your perspective on that!

2. Thunder Pulse

Thunder Pulse

May 12, 2007
    Why would you want our opinions - why don't you ask HER? She apparently sees Metallica as being different than Slayer. She's the only one who can explain the details of why she feels that way.

3. TeeMartin

TeeMartin

Jul 18, 2006
    cuz metallica isn't metal!!111 sellotut11oneonemegadethf4eveaar!!1111

4. wmcjhi

wmcjhi

Feb 12, 2007
    Tempe, AZ
    I nearly fell out of my chair laughing. If I weren't at work, I probably would have.

5. Poop-Loops

Poop-Loops Inactive

Mar 3, 2006
    Auburn, Washington
    Have to agree.

6. Dragonlord

Dragonlord Rocks Around The Glocks

Aug 30, 2000
    Greece, Europe
    Because metallica have written nothing else matters, so they qualify as music and not entirely noise. Plus they're on TV, so if the TV accepts them, they're acceptable.

7. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    In a vat of acid

Eh, sort of metal.

I think it's mainly because James Hetfield takes a more melodic vocal approach. It's like, I can play Iron Maiden around my girlfriend, but I can't play *insert every metal band that rips off Iron Maiden but adds growly vocals*

Vocals are a big deal for people who aren't musicians (unless she's a musician, then excuse my stereotyping). I can phase out a lot of vocalists if the music is good enough, most people focus on vocals first and foremost. James Hetfield doesn't sing like Neil Diamond or anything, but he's a bit less abrasive than Tom Araya.

And what Dragonlord said holds a lot of validity: A lot of people don't give bands a shot unless the radio says they are OK.

8. And those people I consider scum of the earth.

9. afinalfantasy

afinalfantasy Inactive

Jan 11, 2006
    Slayer is pretty horrible. Generic riffs, fast tempos, angsty lyrics.

Metallica is basically the same, but with a slightly better vocalist

10. Poop-Loops

Poop-Loops Inactive

Mar 3, 2006
    Auburn, Washington
    I'll forgive you, since you are a mere boy of 17.

Generic? Slayer is the one who MADE it generic. Who played like they did before them? Judas Priest comes sorta close. Who plays the way they do now? Almost everybody.

So shut it, sonny.

11. afinalfantasy

afinalfantasy Inactive

Jan 11, 2006
    What does age have to do with anything? Slayer are talentless hacks who have no idea what musicianship is about.

12. morf

morf Inactive

Feb 17, 2006
    Put on So What and see if she still likes Metallica

13. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

I'm fairly convinced you don't know anything about metal... you're probably one of those "I think Dream Theater is a metal band" types.

Regardless of your opinion of metal, Slayer pretty much made metal what it is today, for better or worse.

14. Poop-Loops

Poop-Loops Inactive

Mar 3, 2006
    Auburn, Washington
    Talentless hacks?

Listen to Dead Skin Mask or Seasons in the Abyss.

Raining Blood. Angel of Death. Chemical Warfare...

SOUTH OF HEAVEN???

I hope age has something to do with it. I would not like for you to be this ignorant for your entire life.

15. :ninja: Pssst! I already did. I get "You know I don't have a problem with you listening to Metallica". When I ask "Why, it's basically the same as the ones you don't like", she just says that repeatedly.

So I came on here asking for more perspectives that a non-communicative one. But thanks.

No, she's not. She wanted a keyboard for Xmas, which I bought her, but she never uses it. So no, she is not a musician :crying:

You think? Some of the early or live stuff is pretty gravelly too...and she'll let me listen to anything from them!

:eek: OMG. Poops, we finally agree on something!!!

Haha I do. I deliberately choose the nastier ones sometimes, to drive my point home.

If she hates what she hears, she'll even ask "Is that still Metallica" to make sure, then go "Oh. Ok"

I'm thinking of renaming my entire metal collection to be by Metallica :D

"Hey hun is that Hammer Smashed Face?" - Yeah Babe but Metallica cover it now so it's cool hey?
    "Hey, Thats Spit It Out, Dig and Deicide innit?" - Naah babe, Metallica :bassist:

Far out this was a post about two people conflicting about music, NOT whether the conflicting music was to everyone's taste. Shessh.

Add Mandatory Suicide, Expendable Youth and Necrophobic to my list of "musicy" good ones. The drum on Necrophobic is cool the way it turns around on itself :hyper:

16. I asked her and finally got an answer to, since you guys can't stay on topic on anything :)

"It doesn't have that driving kick drum like the others...and there's some I don't like. And I'm not a total bitch either".

I left that last comment to my own discretion. :D

17. ROON

ROON

Aug 5, 2006
    Sydney, Australia
    That's because Lars is ****. :)

18. Well in response to that I played Fade to Black, then One, from the Live **** Binge and Purge albums.

I have no idea what she, or you Roon, are talking about...plenty driving and plenty good for me :bassist:

19. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    "Driving" in context of Slayer probably means "almost constant double bass and tons of tom rolls"

When lars attempts double bass live, I cringe. He slips up almost every time. He really should have been kicked out early in the game.

20. ROON

ROON

Aug 5, 2006
    Sydney, Australia
    Lars has a very dominant sound in all songs, but its not that THUD THUD double kick drive, y'know?

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 22, 2021