1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

No jam metal, but Metallica is OK.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Depth_Charge, Jun 15, 2007.

1. ROON

ROON

Aug 5, 2006
    Sydney, Australia
    +1

2. Yeah I know. And it doesn't help that I like the "slower" double kick songs at like Dead Skin Mask speed, over the 280bpm lunacy Lars achieves when he does use it.

I only saw Metallica live once in '93. I thought Lars was right on the money for my tastes. Then again I was so into it it could have been anyone behind the kit I didn't look past James and Jason really.

3. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Inactive

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    Endorsing Artist: HCAF
    I too grew up on a lot of Metallica.
    I press "next" every time it comes up nowadays.
    I can dig me some Slayer tho! :bassist: :bassist:

4. Yngwie 4String

Yngwie 4String Inactive

May 3, 2007
    Auburn Nebraska
    Because metallica is a disease. They play sold out metal (its diluted down to be more accessible). In other words she can handle metallica because they are a more accessible band to the non-metal fan than say SLAYER is. I dont like the woman. Play what yoou want.

5. Metallica is dead.
    They should now be called newerahardrock-lica.

Man I suck at making names. :rollno:

6. Yngwie 4String

Yngwie 4String Inactive

May 3, 2007
    Auburn Nebraska
    SOlDOUTICA

7. Fixed it for you.

HEY! :eek:

8. COOL QUOTE!

9. The answer the Black Album-it's more hard rock/metal...they began playing less thrash and more hard rock fused with metal...from then on they blew up on the radio and mtv...causing it to be familiar music...slayer is seen as demon music to those who don't understand...MetallicA was influenced by G N' R when they wrote the Black Album...and vie versa...they recorded in the same studio. I bet your chick likes G N' R too, because it's more "acceptable" to the mainstream.

Regardless, do what you want when you want. The only people that I listen to for music direction is band mates and musicians...but if I want to play soemthing bc I dig it, no one's going to stop me, if they don't like it, I could care less.

10. Today we hit a new level of issues.

I have been listening to a funk CD a friend at work lent me so I could get more of it into my playing.

Not 2 bars into a song in the car, she switched it off. "I don't like it" she says. "You haven't even heard it to know" I retort. I asked after Jazz and Blues, same response. "Have you listened to much"? I ask. "No."

"I don't have to. I know what I like".

I give up. Obviously music is not a passion for her and it's not related to metal as much as she'd like it to be.

Listening to the same songs she likes is, or new songs of the same type!

The one difference between the genre's I like that she doesn't is she only refers to metal as excrement, based on television shrinks and documentaries she has seen on it in relation to war. I have learned so much about macabre events by listening to Slayer and researching the content of a lot of their songs alone...let alone the rest!

Better start the kids on genre appreciation otherwise noone will :)

11. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Wow. I don't know if I could deal with a woman that close minded about music... uhm, Kudos to you I guess. You should convince her that your funk CD is the latest Avril Lavnge CD, or that the local pop radio station loves it... maybe she'll give it a shot then!

That's hella weak.

12. 12 years in January :)

In some respects, I guess her limitations hilight how open minded I have become about music.

In my 20's I used to crap on every other genre because it wasn't "heavy or technical" enough, but not from listening to know!!

And I admit, there are genre's I still don't like or understand. But I still have enough respect for my fellow man to listen to some of what they like around me if thats how it goes, at least for a while.

My Dad used to do that to me sometimes, force me to listen to Queen, or the Stones or Hendrix or Boney M or something he was into...heck he dragged me to a BB King concert in '93 coz he wanted the kids to see it with him and while I didn't appreciate the music and that same darn slide up he did on EVERY solo, I'd never seen an afro-american blues band before.

The trumpet player's playing and antics blew me away I thought he was gonna lose his head!! And the energy of performance was great! Obviously had some impression on me I still remember the concert, yet I can't remember half the bands I watched at the Big Day Out 2006!

13. Geezerman

Geezerman

Nov 28, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    Oh stop it, Slayer is a second rate Kreator, the germans just do it better. Slayer have been riding the coat tails of the same crappy riff for 25 years.

14. Yngwie 4String

Yngwie 4String Inactive

May 3, 2007
    Auburn Nebraska
    Dude Slayer is way awesome. And yeah its the same progression, but its killer, and I cant get enough of it. Whats wrong with doing what works?

15. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland
    Maybe you need to tell her that YOU like the band and YOU like to listen to it. Or, why don't you get a pair of headphones? (Although she's partially right; most cookie monster vocals are horrible crap.)

16. Geezerman

Geezerman

Nov 28, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    Because other bands do it better?

17. Yngwie 4String

Yngwie 4String Inactive

May 3, 2007
    Auburn Nebraska
    Thats certainly in the eye of the beholder now isnt it bro?

18. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 4, 2021