Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

No Jazz band for me

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by evilbob101, Sep 3, 2002.

1. Well so much for my school's jazz band. Let me explain:

I've been wanting to join jazz band this year. today was their first practice. I asked several of my friends who are in the jazz band if it was possible if i joined. All said yes. A friend of mine is playing the bass, but said if i wanted to play he would just move to precussion. So i figured, 'well, this is a done deal, time to have some fun.'

So i stroll in their today, said hello to the jazz band director, who looked at me, then continued walking. :mad: . I said, alright, maybe he didnt notice me. so i took a seat next to my bass playing friend and watched him so the next time i went i would know the jist of what to play.

End of practice rolls around, my friend sits down to the piano and shows me the creepy theme from 'haloween', as i played softly on his bass. the 'head' band director looks at me with a disgusted face, tells me to stop playing (doesnt say anything to my friend). :mad: .

Last resort, I walk into the jazz directors office, after several minutes of standing there while others interrupeted my approaching him, I finally said, 'hello, id really like to join the jazz band.'

his reply 'well, you have to be in band, jazz band is a privelege of those in band. you can talk to mr.steidly about joining band.'

well lets break it down. im in the 11th grade, most of the band members have been playing since 8th grade or earlier, I have to work a bunch now, so making practice would be almost impossible, i would have to switch my first hour class period, have to learn the new music, as well as learn to march. o, after THAT i can join the jazz band.

My Verdict: McAlester Public School system is the most pathetic school system in the state, and im almost tempted to say the country, but tooele, utah still holds that title.

sheesh. how very encouraging my school is for gifted musicians........

2. "Gifted musicians," eh?

Dave, can we get some of that giant rolleyes action in here?

3. Freakapotamus9

Freakapotamus9

Jun 20, 2001
    Nebraska
    so if you "really want to join jazz band", why dont you just join band and get it over with? if its something you really want to do...

hey i didnt want to be in marching band either.. but i did it anyway and suprise.. its fun!

or you could start your own jazz band and not let any of them in..

4. [​IMG]

I thought I might as well do the honours (sorry Dave) ;).

5. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Now that is pathetic.

6. Spam2mapS

Spam2mapS

Jun 26, 2002
    Ann Arbor, MI
    I don't think that is just with your school. In my school, you must be in band to be in jazz band. I don't have a problem with this though, I have been in band for the last 5 years :D

7. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY

Oh, the HUMANITY...is there no justice in the world?

8. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

What - you mean making them practice and learn the music - how bizzare! Like dude - you would never have to do that in real life! :rolleyes:

9. Don't take Durrrl and Bwuce's comments too hard. They can't function without some degree of sarcasm.
    Band is a pre-requisite to most high school jazz bands, but the instructors treated you poorly about it. Some band directors take their job a bit too seriously, and fail to encourage young musicians in their programs. I transfered high schools in 10th grade. My previous band director had the same mentallity as yours.
    Once I was in my new high school, I imediately joined both band and jazz band. Later on that year my current Jazz director aproached the director from my previous school at a School jazz fest.
    "Thanks for passing Adam up" he told him, "he's the best bassist we've ever had and is the foundation for our entire band!"
    My old school's director was pretty shocked, but could barely even remember who I was. Humble pie didn't go well in his belly, though.

My advice to you would be to join the regular band and play with your guts. The experience is well worthwhile and educational. I began teaching some younger kids from the middleschool after my classes on some days. I was also allowed to take advantage of a decent Doublebass through my Jazz band.

Remember, some kids (California, for instence) don't even have high school music programs. Their states refuse to fund them. While your Director may be an egotistical snob, at least you have one and have an open door for entry level into your school's music program.

~Ad

10. Bruce Lindfield

That's right - very few schools in the UK have anything like this and I had no chance of playing bass at school whatsoever.

From reading the story though, I wouldn't have called the director an egotistical snob - just practical! I mean - is he supposed to know by mind-reading or ESP, that somebody who just comes along and sits there, wants to try out for the Jazz band?

Surely the first thing to do would have been to talk to the director - not the last!

11. Fliptrique

Fliptrique

Jul 22, 2002
    Szczecin, Poland
    Endorsing Artist: Mayones Guitars&Basses, Taurus Amplification
    Reading about a school jazz band is a completely abstract thing to me. No such thnings in my country... :(

12. lump

lump

Jan 17, 2000
    St. Neots, UK
    Oh...your FRIENDS said it would be okay to join. And you just stroll in unannounced, and teach didn't go along? What a tool. :rolleyes:

PLEASE TELL US WHY YOU ARE SO SPECIAL. WE'RE DYING TO KNOW.

What's sad is apparently this approach has worked for you in the past. Guess what? I wudda bounced you out on your @$$ the second you picked up one of my basses. I don't care if you're the second coming of Jaco; you pay the same dues as everyone else.

Get over yourself. When Mom said you were God's gift, she was just being polite.

13. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    I've said it before, I'll say it again Lump.

Word.

14. I awoke this morning to the stench of sarcasm emanating from my computer. My keen sense of smell, coupled with my sleuth-sense led me to this thread. Give the guy a break, fellas!

evilbob, it's unfortunate but everyone knows you can't play jazz unless you master the art of marching.

15. and ive been very misinterpreted. When I said gifted musican, i didnt mean im the 'second coming of jaco,'. I just feel that music is a gift and and one playing it can consider it their gift too.

I never said i was anything special, i just want to join the jazz band. I dont see why that should bring about the end of the world.

And wow, how the scarcasm poured into this thread. the one place where i thought i could find someone to say "well, maybe you should try.....or go talk to......". but i believe that my head has been chopped off via internet.

Thank tou Ad for your comment. I truly appreciated it. Due to it, im going to go talk to someone about what I need to do to join. once again. thank you very much to those who offered SUPPORT. Other than that. not appreciated.

16. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    Man, everyone's flipping out, and I don't know why.

Back when I was a senior in High School, it was the first year that a Jazz band got seriously started. I was actually approached and asked by our music director to play. I wasn't in regular concert band. (Well, I was, but I quit at the end of 10th grade) Then again, I was the only bassist in school, so I guess I had a bit of a monopoly. But anyways, my music director totally supported me, and even gave me solo spots in the show. I even got inducted into Tri-M. (Even though it's not really worth much since I got inducted like a month before graduation)

My advice, if you really want to play, maybe you will have to join concert band. If you don't, well, then, maybe then that's not "Part of your musical journey". True, the jazz band director sounds like a total tool, but you're going to get that when you choose to be a musician. You're going to have to deal with jerk music directors, jerk musicians, jerk club owners, jerk engineers, jerk audience memebers, people who are jealous of your talent, ect. Music's a passion. I know I've given up a lot to pursue music. You have to ask yourself what's worth scarificing for music. Would having to join concert band and putting up with a less than ideal music director be a sacrifice you would be willing to make?

17. I did speak with him on his 'off period'. Jazz band is an after school activity, i spoke with him after he was through.

Ok, i just want to point out that the man is not the spawn of the devil. He just seems a little distant and uninterested at times.

I just want to point out that i never mentioned my friend in any way shape or form. I told him "i really have been thinking about joining jazz band, and was wondering if there were some way I could join."

Also dont forget that a screen name doesnt always reflect the individual holding the name. I enjoy my teachers and have only had one bad instance with my former debate teacher (which is another story entirly). I do have a good reputation at my school. Id say for the most part, im keeping low on the 'radar'.

Thank you for your post. it was appreciated, i got the jist of what you were saying. duly noted.

18. now that is what i needed to hear. thanks for all of your help. all you guys. thanks :D . Even the scarcasm; it just shows me what approach and attitude to stay away from.

thanks again.

19. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    evilbob, I don't mean this in a sarcastic way. The teacher could've handled the whole situation with three simple words: "Take off, hoser."

Sincerely,
    Munji

20. Bruce Lindfield

That's right - Word! But it's good to see the change in attitude from beginning to end of this thread - something positive seem to have happened? :)