No Knobs

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Petary791, Apr 3, 2005.

1. Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    My friend's dad is an old school bass player. He told me I should just wire my pickups directly to the jack, no volume knobs or tone knobs. He said his volume knobs are his fingers. Anyways, wouldn't this be silly? Has anyone else done this? He said his favorite bass that he owns is set up that way.
  2. I recently tried the volume knobs are you fingers thing, and I noticed that I NEEDED the volume knob. If I left it in the normal position, I would get a loud sound when I wanted it piano, and when I flicked the knob just a little bit back, I got that piano sounds I wanted.

Fingers work, to a degree.
  3. Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    If I ever decided to buy a bass with no knobs (not likely), I would at least get one with an on/off switch. I would hate not being able to mute the bass when I'm not playing it.
  4. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I've done it, but I put the volume knob back like Harry. Sometimes I just need to dig in to get flats to sustain for more than two beats, but the volume's gotta be down.
  5. Yeah, I think I'd have to have at least a volume knob. Hell, you need that to see if it's the fluorescents in the band room or the new tubes in the head that are making that funny hiss!

But then there's the age old argument...

Mingus didn't need no volume knob! :rolleyes:
  6. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Indeed, though I'd wire it slightly differently (especially with a 2 pickup bass)

Two knobs, two switches:

Both knobs would be tone controls

The Switches would be On/On/Ons for the bridge and neck

1- Pickup straight to jack
    2- Pickup through tone control
    3- Off

So, I could have one direct to the jack, and the other with the tone rolled off, or both straight to the jack, or both through tone controls. None of this "blend" crap.
  7. Dell

Apr 7, 2005
    Ive modified my jazz so that both pickups are controlled by one pot, and bypassed the tone pot. I needed to keep one pot for volume becuase I change between finger picking and plectrum between songs and I find I have to back off the volume when playing with a pick (I get carried away :)
  8. AlembicPlayer

AlembicPlayer Im not wearing shorts

Aug 15, 2004
    Pacific Northwet, USA
    great idea!!
    I'm going to do it to all my basses AND my amps!
    no volume knobs!!!

when they say "hey! you're too loud, turn it down!"

I can say with confidence...sorry, NO CAN DO!

HAHA!! :hyper: