1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

No line out on my cab... help?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by DeadheadSteve, Mar 14, 2019.

Tags:
  1. DeadheadSteve

DeadheadSteve

Mar 14, 2019
    Hey guys long time lurker first time poster. Just want to thank all of you for being such a well of information and inspiration all these years, but for the first time I cant actually find an answer to my problem searching these threads!

I have a GK neo212ii and it is fantastic. Great sound when dialed in and meets almost all of my requirements. I was considering buying another 212 or a 410 to expand my volume and raise my ohamage to 4 and speakers to head height, but it appears that I completely missed the fact that there is NO. LINE. OUT on the 212.
    Google gives me no other answers but a splitter box, stereo amp or drilling into the back of my sealed cab and modding in a output jack.

Please, all ye gods and goddesses of bass... tell me theres another option?

Tldr; want to get another 8ohm cab to make 4ohm but no like out on cab. Help?

Much love.

Sub-hoo-fer likes this.
  2. What amp do you have? It only has one speaker out?

3. lokikallas

lokikallas Supporting Member

Aug 15, 2010
    los angeles
    Some cabs don’t facilitate “daisy chaining”, but many heads have multiple outputs. It’s all parallel connections so it doesn’t really matter if there is an “out”. You could make a cable to split it easily. What head?

4. Yep, surely your amp has more than one speaker jack. If not, some easy cabling will solve the issue. But, OP, you've got bigger problems......you said "ohmage".:nailbiting:

Aqualung60, petch and FugaziBomb like this.
  5. Mingo Sanders

Mingo Sanders

Mar 11, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Welcome. Here's the manual for your cab. https://static1.squarespace.com/sta...4b04f1bf4bafc51/1419973249985/neo-manual1.pdf

On terminology, "line out" is not usually used to describe connectors on a speaker cabinet. If you're buying a speaker cabinet to add to your rig, look for one that has two parallel input jacks. You would then run a speaker cable from the output of your amp to one input of the new cabinet, and then run another speaker cable from the second (parallel) jack on the new cabinet to the input jack on your existing GK. If you have a multimeter, you could test your GK cabinet to see if the 1/4" jack and the speakon jack are parallel. The manual says that there is some sort of easily removable plug in the 1/4" jack. You did know that, right? ;^) Or you could try calling GK to see if they'll help you. Something tells me 147 people on this forum have a GK cabinet like yours and can tell you how to do it better than my wandering guesses. You'll make it work. It'll be easy. Good luck.

Hounddog and wintremute like this.
  6. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Hey welcome to TalkBass!!!!!

I looked up the manual. Turn out you're correct. There's only one speaker jack. So how we need to talk about what head you're using.

Can you give us a model number and (even better) post a pic of the back of the amp?

7. DeadheadSteve

DeadheadSteve

Mar 14, 2019
    Holy hell that was some fast response!

I'm currently rocking a crown xti2000 power amp with a sansamp pbddi. Power amp is rated at 1000w 2ohm, 800w 4ohm and 475 at 8ohm.

My gk cab is 600w at 8ohm, two 300w 16ohm speakers.

My power amp DOES have a stereo output, but that draws away from me wanting to bring my speaker draw from 475w at 8ohm to 800w at 4ohm. I understand the only way to do this with a 8ohm cab is to parallel another 8ohm cab to bring the total loading to 4ohm.

I would rather try pulling 800 watts at 4ohm with two cabs than two lots of 475w at 8ohms. I feel like this would put less stress on my P.A and should help it from capping out and overheating/hitting the limiter.

Unfortunately I play in a 6 piece with a loud drummer and a room with horrible treatment.. and I've been red lining the P.A to keep up but I'm worried this will inevitably overload my drivers and do damage...

Sub-hoo-fer likes this.
  8. mmbongo

mmbongo Dilly Dilly! Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Your amp will be much happier, and will run much much much cooler running 1 8 ohm cab per channel as opposed to two 8 ohm cabs parallel on one channel, and there will be no real world difference in the power output.

9. ctmullins

ctmullins fueled by beer and coconut Gold Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2008
    MS Gulf Coast
    I'm highly opinionated and extremely self-assured
    Run the XTI in stereo mode (input Y) and hook one cab to each side. Much safer and just as loud.

10. DeadheadSteve

DeadheadSteve

Mar 14, 2019
    I was always under the impression the lower the ohmage the less 'hard' an amp has to push itself, hence 8ohms being about half the wattage of 4ohm.
    So running two 8ohm channels at about 400w would give the same volume/power as 800w at 4 ohms? I thought reducing the ohmage would let the amp push out more juice and stop the redline/clipping problem.

If I'm wrong by all means please correct me!

Sub-hoo-fer likes this.
  11. DeadheadSteve

DeadheadSteve

Mar 14, 2019
    I have also emailed GK directly about this aswell. I'll have a double read through the manual and have to see what you guys mean by parallel input/output.

Thanks for all the help so far guys!

Sub-hoo-fer and ctmullins like this.
  12. mmbongo

mmbongo Dilly Dilly! Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    No sir.

An amp works harder/gets hotter/pulls more current at 4 ohms than at 8, and will generally have higher distortion and less damping.

MDBass, gitfiddl, SactoBass and 3 others like this.
  13. ctmullins

ctmullins fueled by beer and coconut Gold Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2008
    MS Gulf Coast
    I'm highly opinionated and extremely self-assured
    “Push out more juice”? And what “redline/clipping problem” are you having?

I often find automotive analogies helpful (if you’re not a car guy let me know).

A V8 motor is two banks of four cylinders each. Which scenario appeals to you:
    • Pulling the plug wires from all four left-bank cylinders, and thrashing the other four cylinders to make power, or
    • Letting all eight cylinders - both sides of the block - share the load

14. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    More internet mythologies.

Power is power, no matter how it's configured.

2 x 475 watts at 8 ohms per channel versus 1 x 800 watts at 4 ohms is close enough to indentical.

Amp works easier driving 8 ohm loads that a 4 ohm load (ignoring the channel that's not driving anything and is just idling away not working hard at all). Your amp won't have any trouble with either an 8 or 4 ohm load.

15. Slater

Slater Leave that thing alone. Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    If you deliver 800 watts to two 8 ohm cabinets in parallel (for a 4 ohm load), each cabinet is getting 400 watts each. So, “two lots of 475w at 8ohms” is actually delivering more power to each cabinet.

DeadheadSteve likes this.
  16. Wasnex

Wasnex

Dec 25, 2011
    Just get a speakON "Y" cable. See the bottom of this page: http://www.conquestsound.com/images/pdf catalog/Catalog2013 20.pdf

The wiring of the Y cable depends upon how you will use the cab and the amp you will use to drive it. If you intend to take advantage of the cabs biamp capability you need to use NL4 connectors and four conductor wire.
    Woofer is connected on 1+ 1- and tweeter is connected on 2+ 2-. If you plan to always run the cabs full range you can use NL4 or NL2 connectors and 2 conductor wire. Full range is run through 1+ 1-.

I would not run NL4 connectors with 4 conductor wire with a stereo power amp as you could accidentally short something out or send full bandwidth sound to the tweeter. I don't know how your amp is wired, but my QSC amps have two speakON outputs. The first speakON output connects channel 1 to 1+ 1- and channel 2 to 2+ 2-. Hopefully you see how this could be a problem. The second speakON output connects channel 2 to 1+ 1-.

Here's the front page of the Conquest Sound website Conquest Sound

Also www.cbicables.com/products/speakon_y_cables.aspx

If you buy a speakON Y cable, make sure it uses genuine Neutrik parts. The knockoff parts tend to be unreliable.

You might also consider a Neutrick NL4MMX so you can mate the Y cable with another cable.

NL4MMX

17. DeadheadSteve

DeadheadSteve

Mar 14, 2019
    Wow guys thank you so much.
    Thank you very much for this. I have been reading up on the bi-amp feature but I'll probably leave that alone till I get my hands on an amp that can use the 4pole speakon plug.

You guys have have given me lots to think about.
    Love that engine analogy too. Never considered it that way.

Sub-hoo-fer likes this.
  18. DeadheadSteve

DeadheadSteve

Mar 14, 2019
    To bring up a decent volume to compete with my drummer ive had to increase the sensitivity in the input of the amp (might be a gain stage?) Using the software.

Before I did this I would only get the amp to about half way up on the signal slider with the front knob turned to full/10. Since then I can now push enough from the amp to make it red line and clip around 7/8, but I have twice the volume coming from my cab now.

I couldn't tell if it was the lack of watts or a too quiet an input but it really doesn't feel like its pushing 400w when it hits red. Hence the consideration of the second cab/upping ohmage to get more power.

Hope I'm on the right track here

Sub-hoo-fer likes this.
  19. That's a whole lot of shagging around for an extra 75w that's really only useful for shooting cones through grills.

Bodeanly likes this.
  20. Nah. You said ohmage again. Knock that off.

Your adventures with input sensitivity should not be confused with lack off output power. If you can drive one channel into clipping and it is not loud enough with one cab getting 475w, the answer is two cabs getting 475w each.