Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

No Load Pots for Fender P

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by tplyons, Jul 12, 2005.

1. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I'm looking at redoing the pots on my '78. They're getting scratchy and I don't feel as well as I could knowing that the pots inside the bass have plastic shafts. I'm going to pull the originals and replace with CTS pots, but I'm debating No Load Pots. I understand that rolling them all the way off is a bypass, but how exactly does it work? Does it really sound that much better, is it worth the mod? Would you put it on just the tone knob, just the volume or both and why?

If not, would regular solid shaft CTS pots be a better choice? Both pots are CTS solid shaft, both are the same price, I'm just trying to decide.

2. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE

FWIW:

there's been several posts addressing no loads, one within about the last week. Never messed with them myself but I think guitarelectronics had CTS no load volumed that when you maxed them to 10 it took out the resistance of the pot altogther and was wide open and therefore no load. The posts have mentioned no load tones as well and that you can take CTS pots in particular, open them up, and put, nail polish I think, at the end of the wiper and do it yourself. Since you can use an audio as a tone pot probably same pot with a cap.

A search for "no load" or the like should turn up the info.

3. No load pots open up when in max clockwise position and are effectively not in the circuit to load the pickups thus giving a subtlely better tone useually in the high end. This can be a plus for a guitar but a waste of money and time for a bass as you will not benefit that much if any.

4. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

I don't know, I've never done it but I can definetly tell the difference in tone running straight to the jack compared to through a passive harness. Blatantly more compared to the variation in many active to passive harnesses, which often I can't tell the difference - aside from the limited tone control. And a no load wide open should be comparable to straight to the jack.