1. Please read before selling or posting: TalkBass DB Classifieds Rules and FAQ

No longer available No longer available (until further notice) German carved bass, late 1800s, 3/4

Discussion in 'For Sale: Double Basses' started by Tampabass, Jan 14, 2022.

1. Tampabass

Tampabass Going Viral By 2080 Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2006
    Tampa
    Price:
    Strings:
    EDIT: Holding off on the sale of this for now. Reconsidering my options. So it's not available for sale until further notice.

March update: Spring sale! Another big price drop.
    Realistic offers considered. Motivated seller.
    Will take listing down before long and try selling elsewhere.

German carved bass, 3/4, made in late 1800s/early 1900s by Edmund Paulus.
    Big, rich sound, great for jazz, bluegrass, rockabilly playing. Fair condition, could use some cosmetic work and reconditioning to rebuild some crumbled edges and address other areas of concern on top.
    Update: Pre-crack section under bridge was recently glued (injected) from the top, and sound post was replaced -- work done by a professional luthier.
    E-flat neck (I think), scale length 42 inches, 3/4 size or slightly larger.
    I don't have papers, etc, for the bass, but what looks like the original label/tag is visible. Bass was purchased more than 20 years ago in Tampa from dealer/luthier Buddy Huthmaker, who now operates Huthmaker Violins in Atlanta.

Video/audio here.

More info on Paulus basses: "Handelshaus Edmund Palulus was founded by Edmund Paulus in 1882 and still existed by 1935. The company seems to have started as a pure distributor but may also have done some manufacturing. The company's trade mark showed a violin bridge and two tuning pegs." (from online site)

And from TBer Mikman: "Paulus is a rather common name in this German town and from time to time emerge various instruments of the violin family with a 'Paulus' label. Five years ago, I found a double bass made by Edmund Paulus, a very good instrument, violin corners, size 7/8, with excellent tonewoods and meticulous craftsmanship. It was in the possession of a friend bassist in Italy and it impressed me favourably.
    I own a double bass labeled Albin Lutwig Paulus, Marneukirchen, a 7/8 instrument which is a real "killer". Doing my research, I gathered that they are a family of luthiers for at least three generations and during all these years they were involved in production and commerce of instruments. A fellow from the university years told me that he owns a A.L. Paulus cello, which is an excellent instrument and once he met a old gentleman named Paulus, in Munchen, who was highly respected in his circle as a reputable luthier of cellos and basses.
    So, my general conclusion is that this family constructs decent instruments, some of them real gems, classic samples of the German lutherie."

Located in Tampa. Feel free to PM me for more information, etc. bass 1.jpg bass 2.jpg bass 3.jpg bass 4.jpg bass 5.jpg bass 6.jpg

Last edited: Apr 10, 2022
  2. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    Columbia SC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    What's going on with that bridge? Is it just the photo or is it made of something other than maple?

Tampabass likes this.
  3. Tampabass

Feb 16, 2006
    Tampa
    It’s just painted black.

4. Samason

Samason

Feb 27, 2016
    South Mississippi
    What has the price dropped to ?

Tampabass likes this.
  5. Tampabass

Feb 16, 2006
    Tampa
    $5300, as in the listing. Started out much higher.

Samason likes this.