1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

No longer available no longer available

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by GeeBass, Jan 4, 2017.

1. GeeBass

GeeBass Supporting Member

Jul 14, 2004
    North/Central NJ
    Price:
    $0
    Strings:
    UPDATE: this listing is no longer available, and thread is closed for posting - thanks!

Last edited: Jan 30, 2017
    El Tookay, JJR58, TinIndian and 2 others like this.
  2. JSandbloom

JSandbloom Supporting Member

Feb 2, 2004
    Redding, Ca
    Grace Guitars USA
    I have one of these. Isn't this a hot rod series?

3. El Tookay

El Tookay Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2008
    Vancouver
    Hot Rod Precision. Got one, stone cold killer basses......

4. rigorous bass

rigorous bass Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2012
    Weight?

5. GeeBass

Jul 14, 2004
    North/Central NJ
    Bass weighs exactly 9 pounds even on my digital scale - nut width is a comfy 1 5/8" (this info has now been posted to my ad)
    I agree this model may be a 'Hot Rod' Precision Bass, due to the year and place of manufacture - but just noting that there is nothing on the bass that specifically says 'Hot Rod'.

'El Tookay' above called it right - this bass is a stone-cold killer of a P bass!
    Someone is gonna be very happy putting down fat grooves with this beautiful 100% stock 17 year old mint Fender USA P/J bass.

PM's replied.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2017
  6. ShirazBop

ShirazBop

Sep 29, 2006
    Greensboro, NC
    Oh My!!!

7. dedpool1052

dedpool1052

Jan 10, 2011
    Seattle, WA
    There never was. They just said "precision bass" on the headstock. They also had two different spacings for the bridge pickup, '60s & '70s. Yours looks like '70s. It should measure 1-3/4" from the front of the J to the edge of the treble side of the P.

GLWTS

ShirazBop likes this.
  8. rigorous bass

Mar 12, 2012
    I miss mine!!! These are absolutely great basses! I can't imagine that the newer version could be any better than these...

9. GeeBass

Jul 14, 2004
    North/Central NJ
    Thanks!
    Yes - this bass has a '70's' bridge pickup location - likely why the blended tone works so well on this particular P/J vs. 60's location P/J's.
    I've never heard of a Corona 'Hot Rod' P/J model that was offered with a different 60's pickup location option - it was not mentioned in any Fender press releases or literature for this model that I could find, and not evident in any photos.

10. rigorous bass

Mar 12, 2012
    That's interesting to learn because I sold these at a major retailer back in 99' when they first came out. I definitely do not remeber any mention about the bridge pickup offered in 60's or 70's position as an option... But maybe I missed that day in training... But no doubt these are killer basses!! If I could afford a bass right now, this is the one I would snatch up on TB.

11. dedpool1052

dedpool1052

Jan 10, 2011
    Seattle, WA
    They ended up with a name change at some point during their run. IIRC, it was first the hot-rod precision bass and then changed to hot-rodded precision bass.
    here's a pic of one with '60s spacing
    fender-vintage-hot-rod-60s-precision-bass-905930.
    easy to spot with how much closer the j is to the pickguard.

12. GeeBass

Jul 14, 2004
    North/Central NJ
    Ok - thanks for the info and photo. What IS certain here is this bass is a 2000 Corona built P/J with 70's bridge pickup spacing - and it is a killer example.

dedpool1052 likes this.
  13. dedpool1052

dedpool1052

Jan 10, 2011
    Seattle, WA
    It sure is, GeeBass.
    Sorry for the derail.
    I can delete my posts if you'd like.

14. GeeBass

Jul 14, 2004
    North/Central NJ
    No worries man - thanks! I enjoy all these little Fender info nuggets. Amazing how Fender has gone on to create literally hundreds of different offerings and combinations - stemming from just the Precision and Jazz. Hard to keep track of it all.

15. dtsamples

dtsamples Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2010
    Wilmington, DE
    Were these nitro finishes like the AVRI series?

16. GeeBass

Jul 14, 2004
    North/Central NJ
    I haven't been able to locate any reliable information on the exact finish used on these Hot Rodded P basses, but I would suspect that this is not a nitro finish.

17. dtsamples

dtsamples Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2010
    Wilmington, DE
    Thanks! Beautiful bass! That tort is outstanding

18. hell_yes

hell_yes

May 6, 2005
    Florida
    I've got an identical bass. Don't see these to often but I love mine. Great tone. Good luck with the sale.

19. JOE EDO

JOE EDO Supporting Member

Aug 28, 2007
    Central New York
    PM'ed

20. joinercape

joinercape Supporting Member

Dec 22, 2007
    Great instrument and killer deal, good luck with the sale...