1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

No longer available no longer available

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by GeeBass, Jan 4, 2017.

1. Nice...

2. pbassnut

pbassnut Supporting Member

Sep 27, 2004
    Falls Church, VA
    Maybe they just switched it up at some point with little to no fanfare. I'm fairly certain the bridge pickup was in the 60's position when they first came out. I had a swamp ash Hot Rod P with a see through sunset orange finish w/bridge J pup in the 60's position and a maple/rosewood neck. I found it a bit strange that Fender saw fit to field them with a single coil J pup given all the great humbucking options that were/are available. I agree that the 70's position for the J pup is the superior location.

3. WR Jacobs

WR Jacobs Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2015
    So the new hot rod are 60's p/j config...what p and j pups were used in the OO Model? ( 70's config)

4. GeeBass

GeeBass Supporting Member

Jul 14, 2004
    North/Central NJ
    Yes - 70's spacing on the J bridge pickup, which is the preferable location for the best fully blended P/J tone. This was already discussed further back in this thread.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2017
  5. dedpool1052

dedpool1052

Jan 10, 2011
    Seattle, WA
    it's most certainly a poly finish,
    and fairly thick, too.

6. WR Jacobs

WR Jacobs Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2015
    What pickups were used (ex 63 p bass/64j bass)...or the American standard ones at the time built

7. GeeBass

GeeBass Supporting Member

Jul 14, 2004
    North/Central NJ
    Below is copied from the Fender press release for this P model:
    "Simply switch to the American Vintage split-coil pickup for the sound of a P-Bass, or the new Hot Vintage J-Bass pickup for the growling sound of a Jazz Bass, and there you have it: two distinctly different sounds from the same bass."