1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

No love for 2x10

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by fuzzy beard, May 20, 2011.

1. I read alot of post on here and have found another common post on here that doesnt make sense to me.2x10 dont move enough air.So can anyone help me with this?I know cone shape affects surface area but for simple math a 2x10 is 156 sr inchs a single 12 is only 113 sr inchs.Dont see 12s getting knocked much.Also 2x10s are only 20 sr inchs smaller than a single 15 but yet a 15 is almost standered out side of the 4x10. So can any one fill me in on this?

2. This should be in amps, not basses.

From what I've read, the way the cab was made has as much to do with the cab's tone as the size of speakers.

3. Sorry thought it was can a mod move this please?

4. very nice 3506string

5. I guess if i was asking for a best size for me your post could have been helpfull 3506string.But i am asking somthing different!

6. Also this is about moving air not the tone of a cab.

7. 3506string

3506string

Nov 18, 2004
    Lawton, OK
    Cone area is only one factor in cabinet displacement. Xmax and cabinet design play a big role in it. Many 2x10 designs use low xmax drivers stuffed into tiny boxes. This can be attributed to why some 2x10's are shy on bass. You have to take cabinets on a case by case basis, most of the blanket statements about cabinets based on driver size are incorrect or misinformation.

8. Ty i do need to google xmax to understand it all now LOL.

9. 3506string

3506string

Nov 18, 2004
    Lawton, OK
  10. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:

Other than the Ampeg Micro VR, I never liked just a 2x10 cab.
    Weak, lack depth.

11. So xmax is speaker throw?If it has a low throw speaker it will not move as much as a long throw?So a 2x10 with high xmax speakers may move more air than a 15 with a low xmax speaker even with less surfice area?

12. That speaker link is amazing!

13. This is wear personal taste come in i didnt like the ampeg micro vr as much as the acoustic 260.thought the vr was lacking bottom end and thought the acoustic had alot more even with only 1 speaker.

14. dwm74

dwm74

Nov 8, 2009
    Phoenix, AZ
    I sold my Genz Benz 410 and replaced it with an older Peavey TVX210. In my opinion, the 210 is a touch louder, and IMO it has more 'presence'. Not a scientific measurement, but just using my two ears.

I don't know if it's because the 210 is 4 ohms and the 410 was 8 ohms, but that makes my amp putting out higher wattage (300 vs 175). FWIW, I asked that question before here and it was unanimous that the 410 would move more air regardless of the wattage difference. But as I said, my ears do not confirm this. No matter... I'm happy with my 210, and I certainly don't feel I've lost anything by going to the smaller setup. YMMV.

15. Never listened to an Acme B2 have you! :D

16. Dominic DeCosa

Dominic DeCosa Habitual Line-Stepper Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 9, 2008
    Vero Beach, Florida
    DiCosimo Audio
    Please use the Edit button, fuzzy beard. I don't know if there's a rule against it, but it's considered rude to double post (or in your case, quadruple post).

17. Sorry rather new here!