1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
  2. Welcome Back!  Please see this thread for more info about the site outage.  Thank you for your patience as we work out bugs and tweak server configs.

No love for the Lace Man O War P/J pickups? Any opinions?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by SpasticTastic, Oct 24, 2017.

1. SpasticTastic

SpasticTastic

Dec 22, 2012
    Louisiana
    I never see anyone talk about these.

I'm looking for a set of P/J pickups for my Kramer Forum III. I was gonna keep it stock, but it looks like the bridge pickup was replaced with a PoS very-low-output J pickup, so instead of replacing just the J, I wanna replace both pickups.

I originally was gonna go for an EMG set, but I rather not have to mod the stock K-Haz for 25k pots. Don't wanna go through the hassle. So instead, I was considering the Lace Man O Wars.

I can barely find any reviews for them. But from what I've heard, they sound like Duncan QPs, but with more life and midrange to them. High output and plenty cutting and fatness, but much more midrange growl.

I'm mostly a heavy hitter kinda guy, so this seems up my alley. Anyone else wanna describe their experience before I make the jump?

2. mmbongo

mmbongo Regular Human Bartender Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    If the P/J is as good as the MM/J Lace Sensors I put in my Lakland, they are about as good as you can get.

NKBassman and SpasticTastic like this.
  3. SpasticTastic

SpasticTastic

Dec 22, 2012
    Louisiana
    You're one of the guys that are convincing me to check them out. Just hoping I can get more opinions.

4. Lammchop93

Lammchop93 Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2007
    Louisville, KY
    I love Lace guitar pickups, so I would think their bass stuff is just as awesome. Just never had a chance to play one.

Versatek6 likes this.
  5. SpasticTastic

SpasticTastic

Dec 22, 2012
    Louisiana
    All I know about the Man O Wars is they have lots of output and the EQ seems to be everything at 11. :p

6. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Snaggletooth Inactive

I had Lace Sensors in my Strat & they were great, very quiet.

7. Lace Red Sensors are a dang sweet little pup when you need that type of pickup in certain basses.

Killed_by_Death likes this.
  8. Killed_by_Death

The dude who bought my Strat was having to use a noise gate with his Lester Polsfuss & hasn't used it at all now that he's got the Lace pickups.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2017
  9. fretter

fretter

May 24, 2012
    PA
    They're on my wishlist.

10. SpasticTastic

SpasticTastic

Dec 22, 2012
    Louisiana
    I am interested in them also because they're supposed to be quiet but still retain the original tone. That lace wizardry.

Anymore opinions?

11. pcake

pcake Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2011
    Los Angeleez
    i played with a guitarist who put laces i his strat - they sounded really great.

but keep in mind that opinions from other people may or may not be as helpful as you hope because you may not share the community's taste. i've bought things that pretty much everyone liked but i disliked them, and the triplebuckers in my dimension weren't very popular. but i love 'em.

Duder and Killed_by_Death like this.
  12. Killed_by_Death

That only just happened to me. Try before you buy, where possible.

13. NKBassman

NKBassman Lvl 10 Nerd

Jun 16, 2009
    Winnipeg, MB, Canada
    I had the Lace MoW Jazz pickups in my Geddy Lee for a while. Great tone which recorded really well! Hot yes, but a bit more refined than the Dimarzio Model J pickups they replaced... I'd say by comparison they were a bit smoother through the mids and highs, but had the same gnarly punch as the Dimarzios. Also can confirm they were dead quiet with both used together. Can't recall much for ground buzz when solo'd, but I don't usually solo either pickup on a Jazz bass.

My main complaint was that I found them uneven string-to-string, as in the E and G strings were noticeably louder than the A and D strings due to the vintage fingerboard radius on my Geddy. If your bass has a flatter radius that should help. I'm also quite picky about that sort of thing. :p

Last edited: Oct 25, 2017
  14. EMoneySC2

EMoneySC2 Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2014
    Minneapolis, MN
    I've had Lace Man o' War pickups on both a PJ and Jazz bass, and I definitely liked them. Quiet and great sound. Really hot output, in my experience. I'd recommend them.

wintremute likes this.
  15. While their strat pickups are well known, for some reason they have a very marginal market impact with bass pickups.

16. Wfrance3

Wfrance3 Supporting Member

May 29, 2014
    Tulsa, OK
    unsolicited introduction of another brand not inquired about alert....

I have been rocking a PJ set of honeybadger pickups in my 5-string jag for about 6 weeks now. They are beastly. i have 250k pots and play with low tension flats. Very dark sounding bass.

17. Thumb n Fingers

Thumb n Fingers

Dec 15, 2016
    Just curious, did you try adjusting the strings to match the fingerboard radius? Might be that the set up is radiused a bit too much and the E and G are closer to the pickups and/or the A & D are too high. Just a thought...

NKBassman likes this.
  18. Nev375

Nev375

Nov 2, 2010
    Missouri
    Never heard an instrument with Lace pickups that I didn't like.

19. Wfrance3

Wfrance3 Supporting Member

May 29, 2014
    Tulsa, OK
    It's true. My bass is 9.5" radius and if you look from the bridge down to the nut it's a rainbow shape.

NKBassman likes this.
  20. NKBassman

NKBassman Lvl 10 Nerd

Jun 16, 2009
    Winnipeg, MB, Canada
    The bass was set up by a professional with very low action, and the strings matched the radius pretty well. The Geddy has a 9.5" fingerboard radius which is pretty tight by today's standards, which was a "problem" because the Lace pickups (among many others) are flat. If you picture the strings following the radius as an arch, the pickup would be a flat line underneath the arch, so the middle strings are naturally further away from the pickup than the outer two.

The Dimarzio Model Js I was using previous to the Lace have adjustable pole pieces, so I was able to dial string balance in perfectly. After the Lace pickups I switched to Nordstrand J-Blades, which are radiused and balance quite well. Bottom line, I was spoiled by the adjustable Model Js and couldn't deal going back to a flat-radius pickup.

I don't want this to turn anyone off from the Lace pickups though, especially if OP is looking at a PJ set. Naturally the stings flatten out closer to the bridge, and a split-P pickup allows you to dial in string balance really well, so it shouldn't be nearly as big a deal on a PJ set.

The MoW pickups sound great, and the flat/radius issue shouldn't conceivably be any worse than any other flat-top pickups out there. So if it's never bugged you before or you've never even noticed it, then just ignore my ramblings. :)

Thumb n Fingers likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 16, 2021