No Lyrics in Album Booklet

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by kiwlm, Dec 28, 2004.

1. I have this question from 10 years ago when I first started buying English Albums, compared to Chinese Albums which always comes with Lyrics in them.

Why do some English Albums come without lyrics? :eyebrow:
  2. Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    As far as I know, it's really up to the artist whether or not they get the lyrics put in the booklet. I know I even bought some CDs that didn't come with a booklet, rather, just a single piece of paper :/.

3. Because, sometimes they can't even figure out what they're singing.

- Dave
  4. DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    Could this be caused in part by the fact that karaoke is far more popular in Chinese culture? Just a guess...
  5. Yeah, that might be one of the reason, but the Western Culture likes to sing along to the recordings, and also sing along in concerts as well right?
  6. Michael Bolton

Michael Bolton

Nov 13, 2004
    Delran, NJ
    it pisses me off, no sex pistols lyrics and no clash lyrics.
  7. geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    One of my favorite things are Japanese versions of western albums that didn't have the lyrics included in the original release, yet somehow the lyrics show up on the Japanese version. Usually, really badly interpreted/translated.

For example:

real lyric: "Love is the air that supports the eagle"

lyric on record sleeve: "Love is the allergy to put the ego"
  8. haujobb

Dec 16, 2004
    makes Homer something something
  9. BlasphemyArise

Jul 15, 2004
    and for some bands if they put their lyrics in the book they get a parental advisory sticker put on them. bands that dont really have nothing to worry about unless their cover is explicit from what i understand
  10. geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Heh - unless they're clever and put something like

11. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Yeah - it's an artistic decision - I can remember reading interviews with several songwriters who said they didn't like the thought of people sitting down and reading their lyrics "cold" ...:meh:

They wanted people to experience the whole thing as a song - a complete entity with music - and that the lyrics on their own, don't have the same impact or make the same impression on the page, as they do in context.

I can remember hearing songs where the lyrics fit perfectly and sound great in context, but do look strange/embarassing/lame etc. on a printed page.

It's not poetry and the writer may well have done something completely different if it wasn't a song and was meant to be read, rather than listened to!
  12. Joey3313

Nov 28, 2003
    Whether or not there are lyrics in the booklet doesn't matter to me...the only thing that gets to me is if they are put in there and they are the wrong lyrics. Like something completely different from what is actually said.

Ex: Lyric book says Bob, singer says Harry.