1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

No models at the photo shoot?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by capncal, Mar 6, 2013.

1. capncal

capncal

Apr 14, 2009
    so my band was asked by an upstart local magazine to participate in a concert series and photoshoot to be featured in their next issue!

needless to say we were completely stoked! we've done some pics before, but always on our dime and mostly just hiring someone to shoot a gig. but this is a real deal, professional magazine photo shoot.

they wanted to feature us along with some female models all decked out in steam punk. even better!

EXCEPT - the two married guys knew their wives would be pissed because of female models being around. so we had to ask the magazine to NOT INCLUDE the models!

other than being hella lame, i was concerned the magazine would choose to go another route, since we weren't willing to comply with what they had presented us. luckily, it is a local upstart and this will be only their third or fourth edition, they are willing to work with us. we still get the photo shoot. hopefully we'll still get the full spread in the mag as well.

so, a great experience i'm still expecting. it will be fun. it's always funner with models though.

what do ya'll think about the no models thing? wasn't worth a fight, but maybe the most hella lame thing ever from the guys.

2. JakeF

JakeF

Apr 3, 2012
    Really?

No pictures with models, cause well, their wives are intimidated?

*sigh*

If I was married that is the sort of situation that I would be working to make sure my significant other KNOWS I'm a catch and respects me.

Sad, so sad.

3. pklima

pklima Commercial User

May 2, 2003
    Kraków, Polska
    Karoryfer Samples
    Couldn't you just tell the wives that the models will be all wearing overly complicated and impractical steampunk chastity belts?

4. Sad is right! Smh...

5. capncal

capncal

Apr 14, 2009
    it doens't even matter that the wives are sexier than just about any models we would have had! but they won't dress up for the photo shoot, but won't let us have real models either!

6. nortonrider

nortonrider

Nov 20, 2007
    hahaha!
    I agree..... that's lame!

7. Fiset

Fiset I do a good impression of myself Supporting Member

Jan 13, 2007
    New York
    Oh for pete's sake....what do these guys do when good looking women show up at gigs? Cancel the show becasue their wives might get pissed?

Frankly, if I was part of the magazine I'd tell you guys to take a hike.

8. bearfoot

bearfoot

Jan 27, 2005
    schenectady, ny
    I have a new band name for you: The Pussy Whips.

9. Bassdirty

Bassdirty

Jul 23, 2010
    CT

I wonder this as well.:confused:
    Heck aint this why we wanted to be rockstars in the beginning?..:bassist:
    That is some insecurity right there.

OH..congrats btw for gettin that opportunity..thats pretty cool.

10. capncal

capncal

Apr 14, 2009
    that's my attitude as well. next time they might, or the next magazine that comes calling might just say this is what it is. you're either in or out. we got lucky this time.

11. Gravy4001

Gravy4001

Jan 9, 2012
    Connecticut
    Dude, wives n girlfriends need to get over the jealousy stuff and understand this is part of the show. We are paid to entertain people and they cannot take it personally if we flirt / pay attention to the smokin' hotties.

12. yeah, but you may not want to phrase it that way.

13. tmntfan

tmntfan

Oct 6, 2011
    Edmonton canada
    I brought this up with my wife at one point because I was spending a lot of time with three extremely beautiful girls over the course of a couple weeks getting ready for a gig. Please keep in mind this was also the week before/after moving into our first house (not exactly a stress free time). This was 4 nights a week (late nights) leaving little time for her. It was a great chance to play for a bigger band at a festival. It was a great opportunity so she let me play it.
    So I asked her if she is jealous of the girls. Her response was to ask a several questions of me:
    Q: was I interested in dating them if I could?
    A: no, little too much drama with them (not that I minded hanging out but I wouldn't want to be too close.)

Q: should she be worried?
    A: No, I married her because I love her.

Q where was I sleeping every night?
    A: At home with her.

My wife is amazingly self-aware enough to know that my playing music is part of me and part of playing music is looking the part (my part is to stand in the back and groove; the singers is to sing and if they look damn good our band looks better) if there is any insecurity it is hers to work through. And that shouldn't hinder what I do.
    On a side note; we got asked to play a strip club once, she took a deep breath and said "yes". But that never came to pass.

I would tell the guys to smooth over their wives insecurities... unless you are a Christian rock band or something...

14. Totally lame.

cues 'whipping sound'

15. Good grief, that is f'ing ridiculous. I understand spouses being jealous in some situations but "hey my wife will be pissed if I'm in the same room with another female". Where's the trust?? Please tell me you tease them about it. Do they get notes from their wives to come to practice or do they come with them?

16. I_LIEK_BASE

I_LIEK_BASE

Feb 6, 2013
    Milwaukee
    No models is a bummer. Your band-mates need to grow a pair and your band-mates' wives need to understand showmanship, but it will also turn the focus of the photos onto the band instead of the sexy girls. Could actually be a good thing.

17. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    +1

I used to play with a singer who, whenever the local music journalist would take pictures of us, would ask the journalist to refrain from posting certain pictures anywhere because there may have been an attractive female or something near the stage. He was afraid that his wife would see that and it would become drama. Ironically, they're now divorced. :rolleyes:

18. mellowinman

mellowinman Free Man

Oct 19, 2011
    Minneapolis
    I cannot even find the words.

19. Weak

20. Rocker949

Rocker949

Apr 20, 2005