Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

"No money" Bassists (Poll)

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by PollyBass, Aug 20, 2001.

1. Broke

106 vote(s)
    23.6%
  2. Some Money, maybe i can get a pedal!

163 vote(s)
    36.3%
  3. I got some Money, i can get what i want.

86 vote(s)
    19.2%
  4. Money? you mean that stuff that i use for toliet paper?

16 vote(s)
    3.6%
  5. Brother can you spare a quarter?

35 vote(s)
    7.8%
  6. Will work for food.

43 vote(s)
    9.6%
  1. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Is it just me? or is everybody on this thing rich? i want to know how many people can only aford one bass! im flat broke, and im in debt cuz of my cheap stuff. so, who hear isnt ashamed of being a "barely making it" Bassist? meaning, you dont have a lakland, or a modulus? I have a crate head, a peavey cab, (Both Used) and one p-bass with a once screwed up neck, that i fixed thanks to people hear at talkbass. before that, i had a focus.

2. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    I'm a college student.. my middle name is poor.

All in all it's not that bad. My car has been sucking up what few dollars I've been able to scrimp together. (Have you ever had an intake manifold replaced? I have. Hopefully never again. It cost me half what I paid for the car in the first place. 'Course I got a good deal on the car to begin with... never mind.)

I DO however constantly watch for sales, and managed to add a second bass to my aresenal. I got a DeArmond for 250, down from 5 or 600 something. Watch for bargains and you can afford anything. :D

I'm getting by so I'm not about to bitch. Between school, basses, my car, a girlfriend :)rolleyes: ), and basic living necessities, it doesn't look like I'll be buying that Pedulla I had my eye on or that Audi TT Quattro I've been hankering for. But I'd probably end up breaking both so I guess I'm better off. :)

3. lol talk about being broke.

i have a dodgy VERY OLD peavy pro 4. :(

and if i wanna new bass i gotta wait till christmas for mum to buy meh one!:D

i have a strap wich cost £5.
    my pickups r dead, the turning heads r squeeky, the bridge is gay ect.

and all i have is £35 for a new hoody?! tut.

thats how rich i am! :rolleyes:

Jase

(if u wanna know a rich guy, mee Nino-Brown, he gets a new bass every week)

4. oh yeah... i got no money, i drive a 82 cordoba :D i only get 12/14 mpg so that's where most of my $ goes, but soon, i'm gonna get a better bass!!

5. i'm with superduck, poor college student. when i get my new reverend, it'll be the most expensive thing i own. i buy things very carefully.

6. BigJH

BigJH

Jan 20, 2001
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    I am in the same boat as DHC and Superduck. Poor College student, man this sucks. Books cost 90 dollars you try to sell them back to the same place and they will only give you 5 bucks for it :mad: I hate hearing "We aren't using that edition next quater/semester" AAAAAAGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHH that really pisses me off! What was I talking about.....?

7. yeah that sucks JH, and there's only one campus bookstore. we need some healthy competition to stop those thieving bastards from bankrupting us.

8. Blah, I'm in university too. Fortunately I have rich parents for tuition, but I'm on my own for books, gas, and other junk. Once school starts and I have my hours cut back at work I'll just be working to afford taking the car to school and buying food. Argh, living in the suburbs and driving downtown to school every morning probably isn't the best idea, with high gas prices and bridge fare, but otherwise the car will just be sitting in the driveway everyday, and I really like having the car. Oh well, I should stop complaining, I don't have it nearly as bad as a lot of people. Besides, I have two basses, I don't really need much more than that.

9. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    can't you get used books anywhere?

10. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    I'm poor as dirt. I have been playing the same rig since the dinosaurs roamed the Earth -- with the exception of the Boss Overdrive pedal I had to scrape my pocket change together to buy. The only time I get new cables is when the old ones take a dumper on me and I have to return 'em for replacements. I am so poor, a few weeks ago I replaced the 1/4" plugs on one of my longer cables with the plugs off of a shorter one (storms off, crying). Waaaaaaaaaahhhhhhh!

11. FalsehoodBass

FalsehoodBass

Jul 22, 2001
    Denver, CO
    hey im in college too... i used all of my financial aid money to buy my current amp setup, an svp-pro with a mackie and a swr 810.. ofcourse i don't have all the books i need and i eat ramen noodle everday, but at least i know where my priorities are....

12. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    What class would you be taking right now that qualifies for that? I doubt you're taking high level physics or HL math and above right now, which is just about all BCC and them offer!

13. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Who needs more than one bass anyway? You can only play one at any one time!! :rolleyes:

If people spent more time on practice and less on thinking about buying new gear, they'd be much better players.

Jaco only needed one bass! :D

14. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    You can if the class you're taking is using the same edition as previous years and you buy ahead of time before the used ones sell out.

What really pisses me off is professors who write their own textbooks. First off, they usually suck, they cost $100, and they change one sentence every year so they can print a new edition and make the kids taking the class buy a new book. Sorry if some of you out there are professors who write their own textbooks, but that is what I have experienced in college. I'm sure there are professors out there somewhere who write good textbooks.

What I've seen some people do is pool their resources. If there are 3 or 4 friends taking the same class they'll buy one book and share it.

15. The good news is you dont stay poor forever! Everyone is poor when they're in school. I'm 54 now, and I can buy any bass I want, except in my country you cant buy Laklands, Sadowsky's, Spectors, Pedullas, Conklins etc. And no, life does'nt end when ya hit 21, or 30, or any other age. I'm currently playing 3 gigs a week, and in fairly trendy venues too. As Bruce said, dont worry about your crappy gear, just play.

16. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    He's right. You don't stay broke forever. I started out with a Crate rig, and a Lotus P bass. It did the job at the time. My Geo Metro got me to the gigs, too! Now it's an all Warwick setup, and a 2000 Nissan Maxima. Not bad for a guy that didn't go to college, taught himself computers and its software, and BS'ed his way into an accounting job at a Fortune 100 company. Like poppa always said: If you dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullsh*t!;)

17. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    Honestly I have a great job and could afford whatever I need or want really for gear. Problem is I'm married and my wife is a bit obsessive when it comes to money. That is a good thing I guess because she guilts me out of really going crazy. I don't have to scrape change to pay for studio time and non-paying gigs are OK with me. I only have one bass and a mediocre rig. If I were not married I'm sure I'd have a monster system. However, as it is, I have all I really need for gigs 2-3 per month.

When I was an undergrad, I ate ramen, pizza crusts, and squirrels. No lie.

PORTRAIT OF TRACY- I managed to graduate with a BA in just three years. I regret that choice to this day. Not only did I have to cram extra credits in where there was no room, I missed out on a year of the college experience. I could have done so much with that year, especially if it were light as hell. I'll never get that chance again. Don't rush life. It's not a destination. :cool:

About the books. Two tips:
    1 - DO NOT BUY THE BOOKS BEFORE CLASSES START. about 25% of the books I bought getting my MBA were never opened. If I had waited only a few weeks, I could have saved hundreds (at least the cost of an MIM!!).

2 - You don't need the book around the clock. Share with a classmate. Especially a good looking girl. Excellent excuse to study together.

3 - If the bookstore jacks up prices after the semester starts, buy from an online clearinghouse like Follett.

Now life is good, and I hope it stays that way, with or without the dough.

18. pmkelly

pmkelly

Nov 28, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    I remember the college days, thankfully my wife (fiance at the time) had already graduated and would by me some groceries from time to time... But my gear was pretty knappy those days. I was using an Ibanez SDGR 305 that wasn't as bad as it should have been, and a peavey 300 combo with a laney bc50... Throw a zoom 506 in the mix and I was done! no backup bass, barely enough for strings and straps... In fact the laney was broken when I bought it (paid 75$), and I spent 50$ more to get it fixed... turned out pretty well for the money. But I did get to play in some pretty cool college bands with people whose gear was as bad as mine, or even worse. And I had way to much fun, and still finished a BS in Psych with a 3.0 in 3.5 years... I also put in two minors, so I felt pretty good about it all.... Now I'm 30, married, and the good job for me and the wife lets me get the gear I want within reason... the moral? you have to do the time with the crap gear to understand what good gear brings to the table. and I think that people who play crap instruments are just that much better when they get some better stuff. You'll get your high end stuff, you just have to get to that point....

(wisened karate master voice on)

"Patience, young grasshopper..."

(wisened karate master voice off)

:D

19. ASR

ASR

Apr 2, 2001
    Houston, Texas
    I did that too. And to answer Angus' question (even though I wasn't asked), I took college Trig when I was a junior and calculus I when I was a senior. Those are pretty high level classes. Most degrees don't require math classes higher than that.

So, POT, keep it up. It may be hard now, but the rewards for your hard work will be well worth it.

20. BigJH

BigJH

Jan 20, 2001
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Angus my degree requires Calc1-Calc 4 and Differential Equ's :eek: POT I was talking abou the used books. They will gladly sell them to you and then say they won't except that book. But then they will give you five bucks for it and sell it for like $75. There are three bookstores around here and they all do the same thing. But you can bounce from bookstore to bookstore lookin for a good deal. It also depends on when you sell your books back to. I got like $60 for my Chem book,I sold it back at the beginning of the new quater. When they needed the book :) But I don't mind as long as I get that financial aid check and a little from the side job that I might get I will be fine.