Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

No money = video gets dropped from MTV rotation - Explain this to me?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by rabid_granny, Dec 4, 2003.

1. This is an excerpt from an interview with Further Seems Forever, an emo band that Chris Carraba (Dashboard Confessional) used to lead.

[RM:] What’s the vision for the band? You’ve got the new album, there was the music video that was done … has that been on MTV or MTV2?

[JG:] MTV2.

[RM:] How are things going with that? What do you guys see on down the road? Either in the near future or farther on down?

[JG:] With the video, we already got dropped from rotation.

[RM:] Really?

[JG:] Yeah. There’s just no money behind it. Tooth and Nail just isn’t a major label. Or they are, but they don’t spend money like a major label. So yeah, the video got dropped. The single is still doing very well on college radio, but it pretty much got dropped from commercial because, again, there’s no money behind it. Press is still pretty good. On a strictly business level, everything is great. We’re just a bunch of guys who like music. So whatever happens is awesome, you know?

So when they are referring to money, are they referring to payola? Or are they referring to advertising and album promotion in general?

2. Joey3313

Joey3313

Nov 28, 2003
    Maybe they mean that the label won't shell out the cash to get all the promo stuff done. No promo stuff=less people knowing about them, causing less people to buy their album and if sales are bad then they probably won't get played. Just a guess...

Good band...I should probably check out that CD.

3. Check this people!! Someone likes emo!! FSF are a great band and really nice guys, happened to meet Jason and Chad (bassist) at a show in Manchester when they supported Thursday.

*waits for people to come in to thread to whinge about emo:rolleyes:*

4. I'm sure they're referring to payola. Hmm...MTV engage in payola...gee, that couldn't possibly happen! :rolleyes:

5. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    That's pretty sad. I think that someone really needs to look over that whole payola thing. Right or wrong Payola is a fact of life, and has been for a long time. So they may as well legalize it and be honest about it.

6. Joey3313

Joey3313

Nov 28, 2003
    I'm young and stupid, what's payola?

7. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

Payola is money paid to or favors done for a disc jockey or programmer to ensure that a certain record or CD gets air play. Supposedly such arrangements are illegal. Supposedly all music should have equal access to air play or at least be chosen based on quality and merit. In reality, that is often not the case. However, it is hard to prove that payments have changed hands in order to ensure that any given music be played.

8. The recent focus on corporate (mis-)governance is undoubtedly making payola a bit more difficult, as shareholders are going to want to know what exactly are entailed in a media company's "promotional costs."

9. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Peter

If you dont mind would you give me a littel crash course in you faith when you have time, i would be very interested in hearing your view.

10. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

PS in regard to the topic, i heard something very similar broght up by the band Stone Temple Pilots. Their arrgument was that their label and managment didnt do enough to promote the band when they were trying to make their come back , this was a main pint when their last studio album didint go to the million mark.It was their first record not to hit a million sales.

11. NV43345

NV43345

Apr 1, 2003
    Quote:Joey3313

I'm young and stupid, what's payola?

The Labels often have Listening parties in wich
    they invite key radio & tv programmers and higher up types to. They are given "Gift Bags" for attending. These "Gift Bags" are full of expensive
    goodies, like Harry London Choclates, Mini DVD
    players, DVD movies or TV show sets, expensive
    wine,and other expensive goodies. Of course this
    all comes out of your bands "Budget" and the more
    they spend to promote, the more you "Owe" your label. the theory being getting your name out there and getting on more playlists and hopefully
    selling more CD's so they can make there money back and you can start to pay off your advance and
    Video production costs,recording costs, all those
    free CD's they call "Promo's that they give away.
    And hopefully sell enough so you can start earning.When Virgin dropped us in 1991 we still
    owed them $350,000. dollars, so our managment
    company(the singers brother) filed bankrupcy
    on the corporation and now his name is ****
    in the industry.

12. mike mcd

mike mcd

Dec 11, 2002
    Why would anybody want to make a video for MTV anyway?:bassist:

13. He's got a very good point.

(but maybe if they needed some $$$ though...)