1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

No Moniters?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by HugheJapackage, May 7, 2010.

1. Ok so I have a gig tomorrow and at the last moment the guy who was supposed to be providing the PA just informed us we wouldn't have on stage moniters. I've never played a show without them so I don't know what to do. Any tricks/ways of arranging the stage so that we'll all hear each other? We have a singer, two guitarists, myself, and a drummer.

2. Stay close, keep stage volume under control, and instruments will be ok. Singers will be SOL.

Randy

3. Any place in town to rent some monitors?

4. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    Don't unpack your vocal mic. No good will come from trying to sing without monitors.

5. MNAirHead

MNAirHead Supporting Member

find an old solid state guitar amp.. you can use this..

Tim

6. DeluxeRed

DeluxeRed

Jun 2, 2009
    You let the promotors know that at the last minute you were informed that they had inadequately planned for their event and that they not only don't have monitors, they also don't have a band.

Don't let other people set you up to fail. They were just being lazy or cheap or both.

Welcome to the music biz, where if you're not a shark, you're food.

7. Wait until after the show and inform the putz there'll be no money for him.

8. Wes Whitmore

Wes Whitmore

Mar 10, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Without monitors, there may be no money for you either. I would walk. If you have to do it, find a single monitor and get it to the vocalist.

9. I concur with the majority here....

No monitors...No show. :rollno:

10. Alright thanks. This is going to be an interesting show. I can't really cancel because it's a charity event but maybe I can bring a few 20 watt amps and work something out.

11. CosmicRay

CosmicRay Supporting Member

Really !!!....take it out out of the soundman's cut....
    I would not blow off a gig because of no monitors. Any speaker cab will do in a pinch,even if it's just one.
    What would you do if the monitors failed at the gig?
    Stuff happens all the time. Improvise. It's part of being a professional.

12. crijan

crijan Supporting Member

Jul 6, 2005
    Dallas, Texas
    Endorsing: JH Audio IEMs
    You don't have a monitor in your rehearsal room that you could bring?

13. bassman_al

bassman_al Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2008
    Fairfax, VA USA
    time for a new soundman, assuming that the PA is his and you hired him to do the gig. Then again, if its a charity gig, maybe soundman was already working for free... We pay our sound guys $450 and up. No monitors = we hire another company and probably never hire monitor boy again.

14. I've played without monitors pretty much all through the punk rock glory days of the 80's

no big deal, manage your stage volume
    turn the mains in slightly
    don't panic
    Rock On!

15. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    Ive played tons fo shopws without monitor.

One thing you can do is set up the main speakers slightly behind the band. Give yourself enough headroom that the vocal mics are not pointing directly at the speakers, though.

Like others said, if you have some speakers or can rent some monitors, do that.

16. the sad truth!

the reality is, if this is a new venue for you and you do the gig and suck. it reflects badly on your band - NOT the sound guy.

17. somegeezer

somegeezer

Oct 1, 2009
    England
    I do gigs all the time without monitors. Have you tried just turning on stage down a bit so you can hear each other? The audience will be able to hear you loud and fine trough the PA. You just need to worry about hearing yourselves.

18. Passinwind

Passinwind I know nothing. Commercial User

Dec 3, 2003
    Columbia River Gorge, WA.
    Owner/Designer &Toaster Tech Passinwind Electronics
    Just do an instrumental set?

19. FunkMetalBass

FunkMetalBass

Aug 5, 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona 85029
    Endorsing Artist: J.C. Basses
    I've done it, and it sucks.

Instruments are no problem - if the guy can mix for FOH, that's all you need.
    Vocals - I can never hear myself WITH monitors (save once or twice), so I imagine it would be just as bad or worse without them.

Tell your singer to buy some IEMs. Vocalists never have comparable amounts of gear anyways.

20. Exactly! I'm really suprised at people saying not to play the gig.. :scowl: