No more Aguilar at Riks Music...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Steven Green, Feb 25, 2002.

1. Steven Green

Steven Green

Jul 25, 2001
    Pacific NW
    I was contacted by BassNW and they told me that a price match they were doing for me with Rik's music is no longer valid, because Rik's has been terminated by Aguilar...They said too many dealers complained...

What do you all think about this?
  2. Nooo, that's awful. I was going to rely on rik's for price matching. This is terrible, i guess i'm going to have to re-think my whole rig now because of that.

Secondly, what were you doing going to BassNW. You should go to Gard. (i'm just given you a hard time, though Gard is the man)
  3. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Your news begs the question - complained about what???

Was Rik's pricing to good or didn't they adhere to the agreement for being an Ag dealer, OR......?????
  4. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    My sources tell me it was the latter.
  5. Steven Green

Steven Green

Jul 25, 2001
    Pacific NW
    So what happens to their "in-stock" equipment? Do they "blow it out" or have to return it to Aguilar? I'm thinking the former.
  6. Steven Green

Steven Green

Jul 25, 2001
    Pacific NW
    Hey, even though we ALL know Gard is the man, I live within 45 min. of BassNW:p
  7. Those filthy rodents at Aguilar! :mad: I e-mailed Riks about a month ago on a DB924. They quoted $169.00 and said it was valid for 15 days. It seemed like a good deal to me, but, did I buy it? NO. It goes to show that he who hesitates is lost.

I'm lookin' at too much gear as it is. I must control myself. It does make me want to go to the Aguilar main office and jam up their toilet. HEY, they're not far from me right here in NYC. :D

Mike J.
  8. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    It sounds like some people went to Riks for price matching, not to purchase.

I bought my GS112 from Rik's last year... they had the best price, including shipping. I was very pleased with their organization. Two months later the local Aguilar dealer here in the DC area was selling them for $300 (I was told this by people who actually purchased the cabs). I wonder who complained? If it's true.

Considering they were selling for more than the local dealer, I don't see what the problem was.

Guess this ties in with the price fixing thread.
  9. 66jazzbass

Aug 8, 2001
    NY, NY
    I think it's pretty hard to speculate on this situation without any first hand knowledge of what's really going on. Anyway, I think over price shopping some of these guys is a little intense. Gard is very cool would anyone like to see them go out of business because of price shopping him into the ground. If I feel like I'm being treated right that's where I shop. I buy stuff from The NY Guitar Boutique and they're prices are not as low as some of the other stores but I'd feel like an ass sweating those guys over $50 when they go out of their way to take care of me. I guess it would be like if a club manager said to me the makebelieve band is cheaper than you, are you going to lower your fee? I'd tell them well we've been playing here for years and we bring people in, show up on time and play our asses off for you, is the makebelieve band going to give you that? I guess my perspective is to value relationships and service over price. But everyone does their own thing. It's too bad a dealer that some of you liked isn't around anymore but I'm sure there's good reason and we shouldn't give either party too much **** about it. But the whole price fixing thread was a bit much and it is pretty obvious that someone from a dealer posted it.
  10. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA

Rik's could always sell thru ebay at a lower cost rather than publish the items on their website...
  11. You bring up a great point and i like that. You know what, i'm going to have to agree with you on this. You're right. Financially it would have obviously been better for me to get the price lowered, but, you're right, what's $50 considering the service. On the other hand, $150 is different and that's a lot of money.
  12. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    Rik's was selling the Aguilar DB 659 preamp for $600.00 with free shipping. Musicians Friend and most of the other places that I have checked with have them for close to $750.00. I work for a living. $150.00 means a lot to me also. I would spend the extra dollars with a preferred dealer if their price was competitive along with outstanding service.

I called a dealer regarding a used power amp that they had for sale about two months ago. This dealer offered to sell me this used power amp for about $200.00 more than I can get the same amp NEW at three different dealers! :confused: I'm all for supporting the dealers that take care of me but I still have to draw a line somewhere.
  13. Exactly, i work for a living and i have this problem as well. That $150 is a big deal.
  14. Steven Green

Steven Green

Jul 25, 2001
    Pacific NW
    Same here! When I make a new purchase, I usually end up eating rice for a month!:D :eek:
  15. Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    I think Zoomboy scored a couple of GS112's from Rik's and he said they were awesome to him and he got the best price in the country, fast shipping and great service! To me that's takin care of your customers!!
    I'm all for takin care of the business that takes care of me, But like everyone else I work for a living and if I can save a substantial amount of cash going somewhere else I'm doing it, But on the other hand I'm not gonna nickle & dime over 30 bucks either I would go with my local store that I do most of my business with!!

When I;m ready for my Aggie rig I'll talk to Bob at BassPalace, that's my Regular dealer!!!
  16. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    I bought my Aguilar GS410 from Riks, they automatically RIGHT OUT OF THE BOX quoted me the best shipped price by far, and I jumped on it. The other major dealers quoted me much higher, but agreed to "lower it" when I responded to their emails of what I was actually obtaining it for from Riks.

That tells me the other dealers were playing games instead of just offering me their best price. What a shame that the one honest dealer is the one who gets slammed.
  17. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    If the other dealers price matched Riks' price, that tells me that either they were allowed to or they broke the same rule Riks did. Either way, I don't see the franchise getting yanked for that.

I don't go back and forth. Riks gave me the best price including shipping with no negotiation. I like that. They got the cab to me fast. I like that too.
  18. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    LOL!!! I know a guy from Denver who has to do the same thing! :D

<~~~~~~~~~~~~Look! ;)
  19. frederic b. hodshon

frederic b. hodshon Supporting Member

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    just yesterday, i received my Aguilar DB659 from Rik's Music.

Eric was always helpful.

when i ordered it from him last week, he told me it was their last one.

weird to hear about Aguilar pulling them. when i was shopping for the DB750, an Aguilar rep pointed me to Rik's Music and even boasted about the prices and how they include shipping.

he told me what Rik's price would be, approximately, and i was blown away. he then proceded to tell me that other dealers have complained.

oh well. its a weird biz.

from now on its bass central, bassnw (where i got my bergantino) or a couple of local shops.

20. Rik's Music was cool!!
    My local dealer tells me that GHS strings sell to all dealers at the same price, yet he tries to sell Boomers for $35.00 a set. And he will complain if I tell him about cheaper prices!! What is he complaining about?? Either GHS sells at the same price to dealers, or they don't. If they do, then he is ripping everybody off. Wake up, the internet is here!! You no longer need to have the local guy sell to you at list price, all the while telling you what a great deal you're getting. The dealers are in the business for a profit. There is nothing wrong with that!
    Here is my take on this. When a dealer gets a price match request from someone, they go to the manufacturer's rep. Then the rep gives the dealer a break on the price that he pays for the item. Only then can you get the deal. That's why manufacturers get so mad about this. It's nothing about a level playing field, it's about the maker not getting his money. At least not the amount he wants to get.
    I say get the best price that you can get!! All the dealers claim to have our best interests at heart, but come on!! Our own Ebozzz has been trying to get a Genz-Benz cabinet for a long time. All that he gets is the runaround. I know for a fact that he has contacted Genz-Benz. They told him that they have a new distributer. He has contacted the distributer, who told him that they gave his local guy all the info needed for him to get the cab. Guess what? No word from the local guy!! AmI right Ebozzz? Yet at the end of the day, that same dealer will complain if Ebozzz finds it someplace else. I just got an email from Ebozzz, telling me that his local guy quoted him a price on the cab in December. Is three months too long to wait?? Not if someone else can ship it to you today!!
    It sounds like that there are some dealers in here that are used to selling $450.00 Squire P Basses to 14 year olds and their parents! Information is a wonderful thing to have, even better if you can use it to your advantage!