1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

No more Birds Eye Maple?

Discussion in 'G&L Bass Forum' started by Bassmore, Jan 16, 2008.

1. Bassmore

Bassmore Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2007
    Virginia
    Anyone,

In speaking with my G&L Dealer last week on the topic of getting the birds eye maple fret board option for my L2K dreambass, he mentioned that he "thought" G&L was no longer offering Birds Eye maple :bawl: He's is supposed to ask his contact at G&L after the NAMM show for verification (late next weekish). Has anyone else come accross this or heard anything like this from G&L? From another source (seasoned guitar repair dude) I also heard that bird's eye maple may not be the best way to go due to the "fact" that it tends to be more "unstable" compared to other maple's (i.e. hard rock maple". Coming from one who really has not a clue about such things (that would be me), could it be that if the entire neck is birds eye maple (i.e.perhaps some G&L 6 string guitars) then "unstable" issues (I'm assuming drastic humidity and temp. chages condition causing neck "instability") may arise but if a birds eye maple fret board is applied to a Leo re-designed hard rock maple Bass neck then any such "instability" concerns would not be a significant problem (i.e.constant truss rod adjustements, etc.)?

2. lug

lug Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
    Birdseye maple is a hard maple just like eastern (actually it comes from eastern maple trees). Soft maples include curly, quilted and flamed maple. From what I've read, birdseye is just as stable as eastern or hardrock maple.

3. Bassmore

Nov 2, 2007
    Virginia
    Lug,

That's good to know. Thanks. Now I guess I need to wait and see about whether or not there's any truth to G&L no longer offering it.

Thanks again

4. coop

coop

Jun 22, 2002
    Oklahoma
    ....seems like I read somewhere that G&L will still do birdseye, but they only offer a 1 year (not the 10 year) warranty. But I'm not sure about that.

5. Jimtoonz

Jimtoonz Supporting Member

Aug 26, 2007
    Nashville, TN
    As I understand it, one used to be able to order a G&L bass with a bird's eye maple neck. This is no longer offered, only a bird's eye fingerboard. The full neck is still an option on guitars but carries only a 90- day warranty.

6. pedroims

pedroims

Dec 19, 2007
    Michigan
    I talked with guitarsadoption for an estimate on a JB2 with bird's eye neck last week, they said that I can ordered and get it in 16 weeks. Never mentioned that G&L is not offered bird's eye anymore.

7. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist

Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
    According to the G&L website, birdseye maple for guitar necks only, birdseye maple fingerboard for basses.

8. Horny Toad

Horny Toad Guest

Mar 4, 2005
    NJ
    ^^^
    This is what I was told when I ordered my L2K from Guitar Man back in October.

9. Bassmore

Nov 2, 2007
    Virginia
    Thanks all,

I'll make sure to re-visit this thread as I find out more when I get into "order mode" and share what I find out.

10. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 17, 2021