1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

No more cheap basses for me!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by el_Bajo_Verde, Jan 14, 2018.

Tags:
  1. el_Bajo_Verde

el_Bajo_Verde

May 18, 2016
    USA
    Talking about quality, not price!

Sure I can file the nut edges, replace the pickups, shield the bass, glue the damn nut in place, cut the B-string's intonation screw shorter, replace the slipping tuners, and all kinds of other stuff to fix some of their problems, but it ends up being more trouble than it's worth, and it still feels cheap! Sounds better after fixing, but still just feels and looks like cheap crap!

Ranting a bit but basically in 2018 I will be saving up for something nice! Narrow it down to one beater for shady dive bar gigs and one nice bass that I can be proud of!

I'm single with no debts to pay off, so I've got no excuses!

2. Bass Man Dan

Bass Man Dan Endorsing Artist: Ned Flanders' Bass-a-Reeno Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2017
    Cincinnati
    I am still at the stage where setting up and fiddling about with my basses helps me learn about them and feel bonded to them. Makes them more "mine". You are obviously over that stage and more power to you. There is alot to be said for a bass that requires nothing but picking it up and playing it. I hope you get something awesome!!!
    I really like the New Year's resolution of "Buy myself an awesome bass."!

3. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    Someone has seen the light. You NEED one bass. Quality Trump's quantity.

4. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    Anything you have in mind?

images(10).

ghostinthemach, Wisebass, JRA and 4 others like this.
  5. Mantis Tobaggan

Mantis Tobaggan Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2015
    Tampa, FL
    Buying a bass you don’t like is a complete waste of money. Better to save and get something cool.

6. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    There's a joke in there, but it's early, and I'm trying to be good...

... well, at least today...

Catbuster, Gravedigger Dav and Axstar like this.
  7. buldog5151bass

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    Can't go there... Good thing George Carlin isn't around.

Catbuster, Mili and Spidey2112 like this.
  8. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    I wish he was, just as I wish @el_Bajo_Verde would quit teasing us with his 2018 bass love...

buldog5151bass likes this.
  9. el_Bajo_Verde

el_Bajo_Verde

May 18, 2016
    USA
    Either a Kiesel Zeus or a Schecter Apocalypse

2guitars-zb6-1.

C-4%20APOCALYPSE%20EX%20RUSTY%20GREY%201319%20TILT5.

The Schecter is already 35" scale, set up for and strung BEAD from the factory. Also available in 35" 5-string and 34" 4-string. The Kiesel is available in 4-string and 5-string too obviously, but they're only 34" scale.

superdick2112, Mili, El-Bob and 2 others like this.
  10. Bass Man Dan

Bass Man Dan Endorsing Artist: Ned Flanders' Bass-a-Reeno Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2017
    Cincinnati
    That Schecter....wow, looks absolutely mean!

11. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    Using my Saga build as a reference, I thought of it as cheap when I purchased it (price wise), but after completion, I look back at all the hours I put in on it, the cutting, filing, sanding, priming, painting, finishing, upgrading and fine-tuning this 'bass-in-a-box', and I asked myself...

... why the heck did I do all that, when I could just have bought one?

First off, I never would have learned as much as I did if I just bought one, and it looks as though you already have that checkbox marked.

Second, I feel that after I completed the build, it was no longer a cheap conglomerate of parts, but a labor of love, producing (in my eyes) a quality product, worthy of any gig that I'm ever going to do, not to mention the chatter regarding this 'cheap' bass, i.e "What is that? I've never seen one of those?"

You've checked that box, as well, taking what you term 'cheap' and infusing quality into them, with your hard work.

... regarding your new acquisition...

images(10).

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:!

JRA and Bass Man Dan like this.
  12. buldog5151bass

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    Nothing wrong with working with an instrument if that is something you like doing. I built a '51 P clone, and did all the wood finishing myself. Including Rio Grande pickup and detuner for the E string, the cost including paint was under $700. But I've played my Lull in everything from cheap bars to corporate gigs and weddings, for well over a decade.

Spidey2112 and el_Bajo_Verde like this.
  13. DiMarco

DiMarco Guest

Feb 4, 2010
    So you're still going for cheap basses then?
    Hmkay.

Wisebass, BassJuju and el_Bajo_Verde like this.
  14. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    My Sarcasm Alert just paged me...

Nothing cheap about the quality of either of them... after stalking the two, both are similarly priced... and not cheap, price wise...

It would be great to play and hear them, at the same time... looks alone, I like the Schecter.

el_Bajo_Verde and Bass Man Dan like this.
  15. I agree 200% with you ! Trying to sell my two MIJ Fenders for an Am. Elite jazz bass !

el_Bajo_Verde likes this.
  16. el murdoque

el murdoque

Mar 10, 2013
    Germany
    I always felt that it is a huge gamble to buy a bass you don't like the way it is and then start changing components until it fits your taste. There are too many basses out there that I like just the way they are. I'll always choose from them.

17. Trouztrouz

Trouztrouz

Feb 6, 2013
    NoVA
    If you're talking about quality and not price, then the thread title becomes "no more poor quality basses for me," and well yeah who wants a poor quality bass?

Aha so you ARE talking about price. Glad we cleared that up.

18. Paulabass

Paulabass Supporting Member

Sep 18, 2017
    I agree with your post except- Bring your $10,000 custom to every gig. It's a tool.

19. el_Bajo_Verde

el_Bajo_Verde

May 18, 2016
    USA
    What's your point? Honestly...really don't need this thread derailed by nonsense.

I am still referring to quality. Just saw a nice Jackson fiver that was only $350. The quality is not cheap, but the price is! I didn't get it because I want the Schecter, and I'm not going to settle for anything else.

I've also bought a $900 turd before

Not going to waste more time explaining what should be obvious...

Last edited: Jan 15, 2018
  20. Wisebass

Wisebass

Jan 12, 2017
    Lost in Space
    Hi el_Bajo_Verde

The Schecter as well as the Kiesel will be great for that!!! :D

Wise

el_Bajo_Verde and BassJuju like this.