No more digging;

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by nunk6, Nov 26, 2000.

1. nunk6

Jul 29, 2000
    i've decided that digging in just isnt cutting it,
    what basses sound good when played with a light fingerstyle technique?
  2. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Lakland, and nothing else.
  3. nunk6

Jul 29, 2000
    is it the neck which makes it so much easier to play than others or electronics?
  4. Saint

Mar 2, 2000
    DC - USA
    Many basses sound good with a light finger style. It just depends on what your definition of "good" is.
    What kind of tone do you want? Why were you digging in in the first place?

If you go for a lighter touch, you may want to try playing in different positions. For instance, a lighter touch played at the bridge, will give you some of the mids and highs you may have been after while digging in.

Also --and don't shoot me for this-- you might (god forbid) try playing with a pick on those occassions when you want a more punchy tone.

But, with all due respect, there's no need to run out and drop $3,000.00 plus on a Lakland merely because you want to move to a lighter finger style (unless, of course, you just happen to love Lakelands).
  5. RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    There are certainly some basses that sound better than others, but one thing you've got to keep in mind is that all basses sound a little differently according to who's playing them. If you played my Spector :eek:, it would sound a little differently than how I play it.

In addition, sound is subjective. What sounds good to you? I can't tell from your question.

But, you may start inexpensively by lowering the action on your basses a bit. Then play more softly. See if that gets you a little closer to your desired sound. If you're going to play softly, you may like it :)(or hate it:() with the strings closer to the pickups.

Another thing you can do is to shop around to see if you run into a bass that suits your soft-touch style. You may just find that you're already the proud owner of it! Or, you may decide that there is a better bass out there for you. ;)