Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

No more eye glasses lazer correction ?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by MAJOR METAL, Apr 26, 2004.

1. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Has anyone here had this opperation if so would you comment on your improved eye sight. Anyone here thinking of going ahead and getting your eyes zapped?. I am giving it some thoght since i need glasses for driving and watching TV and i am really tired of having to clean them all the time, i seem to get my glasses very dirty some how.

2. odie

odie Supporting Member

Co-worker had it done. They ended up needing bi-focals at a young age. Dont believe what you hear. It is still a gamble.

3. My brother and sister have had it done. Both were blind as a bat before the procedure. I'm almost positive that both now have at least 20/20 vision or better. My brother is 34 and my sister is 36.

4. Rumzini

Rumzini

Feb 14, 2004
    Jackson, MI
    Mother in law had it done about 5 years ago...50 now and says her sight is great. i just got new contacts lately and Doc says I'm a good candidate for it now, 31, but when I'm about 50 I would need it again. If I had the money it would be worth it to me.

5. MAJOR METAL

How nice it would be to have perfect vision, heath insurence will not pick up this procedure i understnad that is the case with most heath insurence companys.

6. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    I was thinking of it before i saw how it's done... :eek: ... erm :rolleyes: let me not go into details, but since then I've put this idea out of my head... :meh:

7. Rumzini

Rumzini

Feb 14, 2004
    Jackson, MI
    I've seen, at least I think I've seen the laser surgery done on tv....the laser sounds like some nuclear reactor hovering above your head...but my mother in law says she didn't feel a thing and she didn't blink once! something they do to your eyes...toothpicks i thinks!

8. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    I have my concerns about it. Plenty of people with bad results. I only have one set of eyes. Contacts aren't that bad when I consider the option if the surgery fails.

-Mike

9. Sofa King

Sofa King

Aug 20, 2000
    Rowlett, TX
    My father did surgery about 4 months ago and ended up with astigmatism. It's slowly settling into better condition, but he's going to need follow up surgery to correct that problem now.

10. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    I had it this last december, no complains :)

11. oddentity

oddentity

Nov 20, 2000
    Philly
    I know three people who have had LASIK laser vision correction. There are a few different methods out there and if you are interested you should research them carefully (I think the other major one is called PRK).

Of the three people, two had no problems and ended up with better than 20/20 vision. However, the third person had to have two subsequent surgeries to correct the first operation.

I think a lot depends on where you go for the surgery. My gf went to one of the more expensive providers around here - but she got what she paid for. The best doctors, thorough post-op exams, etc. The person who had problems went to a budget facility.

One other thing -- definitely get a second opinion before you go through with it. Your vision has to fall within a certain range to be eligible for the surgery.

12. Im a sock

Im a sock

Dec 23, 2002
    Central MA
    My girlfriend had it 4(ish) years ago, and her vision was perfect for a while, but it's back to about -.75 now (used to be -6.75).

13. MAJOR METAL

That is something i will keep in mind, you only have one set of eyes.

14. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    When my wife (who will officially be physician in less than a month) was on an opthalmology rotation she watched these being done all the time without problems. The only time she saw one that didn't work was a very specific case that was due to something in the way the person's eye was (as opposed to doctor error) and it only occurs in a tiny percentage of people. The person didn't have an bad effects from that other than that the surgery didn't work. Most of them go fine and most often if they don't work out fine then there isn't any lasting damage to the eye. It would still suck though if it didn't work out right!

brad cook

15. jgbass

jgbass Guest

Dec 17, 2003
    I had this surgery done about 5 years ago and I am totally happy with the results. I only had one eye done though where the vision was about 20/200. The doctor suggested I keep the other eye as is, vision is about 20/40 because when you get older you start having difficulty reading close up. With my one eye still a little nearsighted I can still read up close with my left eye. I know someone else younger than me (I'm talking around the late 40's age when I had this done) who had both eyes done and then he had to immediately start wearing reading glasses. That didn't seem like a fair tradeoff, so I'm glad I just had one eye done. The eyes compenstate for this difference after awhile -- the doctor calls it monovision and it works well. I don't even need glasses for driving. For awhile though, I had these halos around my eye and I wore these glasses to cut down on light sensitivity. Do, however, check out recent research on whether this is safe because it seems to me there's been some problems with some people.

16. MAJOR METAL

What is the average pricing you have heard for the eye corrections?.

17. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    I asked my optometrist about LASIK eye surgery last year when I was getting a new prescription for my contacts. She said there was a 1-3% chance of complications, and that she doesn't recommend it unless you have had the same prescription for at least 3 years. A lot of young people's eyes are still getting worse (especially kids in college because they read a lot), and if you get the surgery too early your eyes will continue to get worse even after the surgery. It also costs about $2500 per eye.

18. I think my brother and sister had it done for $2000 per eye.

19. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    My cousin worked for one of these surgeons for several years and hardly ever saw anything go bad. In Australia at least, the associations were always issuing newsletters showing success rates in the high 90's. Any procedure has some risk, that's a pretty good success rate if you ask me.

20. MAJOR METAL

I think this is something i should start looking into with Eye Surgeons in my area, my impression is i would want a seasoned pro at this.