Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

No more fade to black!!!!!

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Master P, Apr 26, 2002.

1. Master P

Master P

Mar 26, 2002
    Please tell me I'm not the only one to do this.....

We were playing @ a very large club somewhere in Texas ( I'm being vague because this is so f-ing embarassing!). We had played here many times in a very specific stage configuration. On this evening the stage was reconfigured in a way that added stage where there normally isn't any. This also means there isn't stage where there once was. After our third song ends the stage lights fade to black.(Ya'll see where this is going, don't ya?) I turn to my right to pick up my Hamer 8 string for the next song and walk right off the stage. The stage is at least 5 feet off the floor(concrete). It seemed like it took 30 seconds to get to the floor. When I finally got there, I dislocated the middle finger on my fretting hand and hit the PA sub-woofer with my forehead.
    I laid there for a minute taking inventory. My finger is sitting at a 90 degree angle when compared to the rest of 'em. I'm trying not to pass out from the knock on the head. Now for the funny part....
    Apparently nobody has noticed the bass player has disappeared. My f-ing bandmates start the next song and play for 30 seconds or more!!! The only reason they stop is that I do the lead vocal on this song and I don't start singing when I'm supposed to! The guitar player walks to the edge of the stage, looks down a says, "DUDE!!!" (what a well thought out comment...)
    Needless to say, we took a short break. Our drummer yanks my finger back into place. I had to bite down on my strap to keep from screaming like a girl. The finger was the approximate size of a a baseball bat by the time this process was done. Our guitar player looks at my head and decides it will be O.K. because my hair covered the golf ball sized knot on my forehead. I guess appearance was more important that my actual health.
    As we took the stage again, a-hole guitar player explains to the crowd what happened. I got some polite mercy applause. I went to the mike and told everybody in the room that my f-ing hand hurts and I want a bottle of Hennessey forthwith!!
    We finished our set. I don't remember much. We left the stage to wild applause and I went to the hospital. As it turns out our drummer did a fine job fixing the finger. The doctor was very pissed that I had poured a bottle of cognac down my neck with a concussion, but I survived.
    The morale of the story: Do not ever let the lighting guy fade to black!

Stay Hard,
    Master P

2. Oww. Oww. Hope you heal up all right, man. Any pain that makes you want a whole bottle of Hennessey has got to be bad. :) Yecch.

3. honestly i don't see how you could have been so careless as to drink brandy after a fall like that. everyone knows that cognac is for heart trouble. you drink bourbon for muscle injuries and beer for head injuries.

4. No blood? Bah. Not a real injury

Kidding:D But don't drink next time you get hurt. Especially if you're bleeding. You may not feel the pain, but you're still causing damage to areas your body would normally be telling you not to move. For that reason, I try to shy away from any kind of pain killer...except under extreme circumstances (parts of body removed...or replacement of body parts).

And kick that soundman's a$$. I know I hate playing in the dark. Total darkness is not needed.

5. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    Well, no one ever said being a musician was glamourous. :D

6. Master P

Master P

Mar 26, 2002
    Thomas...
    I had a concussion,Dude. Your point is well taken but aimed at the wrong person. My worthless bandmates should have been taking better care of me.

7. PunkerTrav

PunkerTrav

Jul 18, 2001
    Canada & USA
    Ouch! Hope your finger gets better soon, and your head is alright. I can't believe they started without you. Was it pitch black when the next song started?

Heal up,

Travis

8. um... you understand i was joking, right?

our drummer tried to have a heat stroke about four songs into a gig last week and we just about stopped. we took about a half hour break and he insisted that he was good to go so we did about another fifteen minute set then called it a day. then he fell off the stage, bringing my bass rig down on his head and causing a huge scare. luckily only thing he suffered were some scrapes and bruises. no hospital visit necessary.

sometimes those stages with the chicken wire border make sense.

9. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    wow! this thread is most entertaining!

and i avoided it all this time 'cuz i thought it was about your refusal to no longer play the cover of metallica's "fade to black" (is that a song by metallica?).

well, i'll worry about falling off the stage if i ever get another gig again.

:(

and your band mates, who are supposed to be almost like brothers...or wives...or something, are real jerks!

how the hell did they not notice that you weren't playing with them?

:mad:

10. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Yeah, Metallica is the band with "Fade to Black", I like to play it, very fun...

11. And this is why VERY early on I learned to place glo-sticks on the edge of the stage.

Sorry to hear about the finger. You can still play well, right?

Rock on
    Eric

12. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ
    good idea

ummm...hope ur ok....and look on the brightside
    at least u weren't carrying your bass when u fell

bp13

13. Master P

Master P

Mar 26, 2002
    Yeah Thomas I know a joke when I see one (itwas funny,too. I laughed out loud...)
    Your thread about your drummer's wheels-off moment was what made me decide to share my story. I've been playing bass for 25 years and I've discovered that the funny things are the ones you remember.
    MP

14. Master P

Master P

Mar 26, 2002
    The answer to your final question should be obvious. This was a 4 piece band. Guitar,guitar,drums,bass. Think about it: when you make a list of the most self-absorbed people in the world drummers and guitar players are very near the top!!!!

15. Master P

Master P

Mar 26, 2002
    Thanks Eric......
    The finger's fine. A little stiff sometimes and the doctor says problems will no doubt show up later. You ask," you can still play well? " You're assuming I could play well in the 1st place! I can play loud!!
    MP

16. Murf

Murf

Mar 28, 2001
    Ireland
    Fading to black SUCKS!!!, I recently did a gig where I had the intro to a song which was a really really tricky/intricate fretless bass line, the song started with just me and a percussionnist, I had to practice like a whore to get the damn thing down properly. On the night of the show just as I was starting the song the stupid lighting guys decided to fade the stage to black, now I was playing a fretless with NO fret lines and a black fingerboard.......guess what happened.

lighting guys are up there with soundmen and lead guitarists in my book.