Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

No more FLEA BASS?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Senor SQUID, Sep 2, 2004.

1. Senor SQUID

Senor SQUID Guest

Jan 11, 2004
    I heard today that MODULUS is no longer going to refer to the FLEA BASS as the "FLEA" and they were going to change the headstock making it more rounder. I heard it was because many artists were now using this model so they decided to change the name and style a little. Did anyone else hear about this?

2. Haven't heard anything. Couldn't see anything on their website. I can't say I'm disappointed though. As much as I like Flea, I never did like the way that bass looked. I always thought of it as someone elses version of the Stringray...someone elses EXPENSIVE version.

3. 6-3-2

6-3-2

Sep 20, 2003
    Seems like a smart move though. With a different name, it might appeal to more people, and I think the headstock could use a remodel too. Might also be a good idea to offer a genesis neck.

4. Ain't my cup of tea anyway. I heard the clips of it on basstasters, and that thing is bright as hell. I mean, annoyingly absurd bright. JMO of course.

Sean

5. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Check out some Dave Matthews Band. Stefan Lessard uses them to non-bright, very bassy and groovy goodness.

6. Thanks. But that thing is SO bright, how does he manage to get them "very bassy and groovy"?

Sean

7. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    *shrug* Flatwounds? Good question!

8. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    I wonder if Modulus will re-rename it the "SonicHammer"?... :D

9. CaptainWally

CaptainWally Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2000
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    The recording on basstasters isn't consistent with my experience with that bass in person. Must be some new strings or something.

10. Yeah, but listen to the Fodera, which I believe also has new strings and is kinda bright. But even with new strings, it's not even close to being as bright as the Flea. Still, with older or darker strings, I'm sure the Flea bass can get a decent groove going. But you still need some pretty dark strings.

Sean :p

11. CaptainWally

Oct 21, 2000
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    I tried the Flea with a Bart -- i think that has a lane poor. could be the difference. the flea is pretty crispy, but so is a stingray :)

12. I just recieved my brand new flea bass a few weeks ago and I did notice my headstock is noticably different than other ones I've seen. I'm not a big fan of this headstock on mine, I like the older ones. None the less, I love this bass.

My headstock

Another pic of headstock

13. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    i played one. this kdi who was buying my old cab came over and played one. the black looked nice. but the blue sparkle is just too much for me. playing wise. it was heavy, the neck felt wierd, and for 2500, it just didnt sound that solid.

14. CaptainWally

Oct 21, 2000
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    IME, a Modulus Flea shines much more in the mix than when playing solo at home.

They are kind of heavy, and the feel takes some getting use to.

15. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    i also, havent liked fleas sound since he switched, which, some say its the same, or it now sounds better, but honestly, the last two cd's he used that on, sucked.

16. Heh, I play solo at home, I'm not in a band :smug:

Do you guys notice the different headstock on mine though?

17. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    its painted and not black?

18. Yeah, the treble side is more curved than the pics on the website.

Geoff

19. Yeah, I thought so, I knew I wasn't seeing things. I actually prefer the one shown on the website. Oh well, I still love my bass.