1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

No more fretted Douglas violin bass at Rondo?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Orpheus55, Feb 12, 2017.

1. I was thinking of picking up one of the fretted Douglas violin basses from Rondo for a special project but see that their website is only carrying the fretless versions. Also noticed they are no longer showing their rack bags. Anyone else notice or care?

2. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    I believe the site only shows what's in stock so maybe they're just out of them for now. Those are fairly popular. I'd be surprised if they're totally discontinued.

On a side note I briefly owned the fretless one and it was excellent once I changed the strings.

3. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    Yeah, usually just means "out of stock until the next shipment from that factory arrives".

4. I was tempted by the fretless, but the combination of short scale and unlined board is a little daunting: I have played fretless extensively, but only Fenders. I am looking to replace an old Epiphone Viola, and the Douglas looks to be a nearly identical copy. The Epi has seen a major price lately, and I have read there isn't much difference

5. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 11, 2021