No more GK Amps on Musician's Friend?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Plectrum72, May 1, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Plectrum72

Plectrum72 Supporting Member

I was looking for GK amp heads on Musician's Friend and the only ones that come up are 3 open box items. Did GK drop them as an authorized dealer or do you think it's a glitch in the website (or just my web browser)?

2. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Hmmm.....

Plectrum72 likes this.
  3. SJan3

SJan3 Supporting Member

Dec 8, 2010
    Ct.
    I'm gonna take a wild guess here.
    I think MarkBass is burying GK on MF and as Sweetwater does not have MarkBass, there's probably a deal going on between GK and Sweetwater. Again, just a wild guess! Please don't spread this as "gospel" unless GK says so.

Plectrum72 and TN WOODMAN like this.
  4. SJan3

SJan3 Supporting Member

Dec 8, 2010
    Ct.
    Guitar Center no longer shows the full line of GK either. This really has me thinking..

Plectrum72 likes this.
  5. Al Kraft

Al Kraft Supporting Member

May 2, 2016
    Northern Virginia
    As I understand it, Music and Arts, Guitar Center, and Musicians Friend are all in the same corporate family with missions focused on different market segments...so a change in product line coverage would likely show up across the family.

6. CenTexThumper

CenTexThumper Old Timer Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2008
    The Republic Of Texas
    I've noticed it as well. I think I'll send an email asking for an explanation.

7. /\/\3phist0

/\/\3phist0 ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) mmm Woody! DHDIK?

hmm makes one wonder with the recent complaints about customer service.
    Gibson going Ch11 today.
    And the continuing struggle of GC...
    Guitar Center's proposed debt exchange would constitute a default: Moody's

And to add to the spread: Guitar Center oversees various subsidiaries including Music & Arts, GuitarCenter.com, LMI, Giardinelli, Musician.com, Private Reserve Guitars, Woodwind and Brasswind, Music 123, and used to own Harmony Central until its April 2015 sale to Gibson.

Plectrum72 likes this.
  8. darwin-bass

darwin-bass Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2013
    Salem OR
    When I ordered my GK MB-112 about 6 weeks ago I found out that Guitar Center is no longer going to be selling Gallien Krueger. It really made my amp purchase a difficult thing.

Plectrum72 likes this.
  9. gwangi

gwangi

Jul 4, 2009
    Forbidden Valley
    Musicians Friend I'm told owns or has some type of business affiliation with Mark Bass so go figure that they are going to push Mark Bass and since Guitar Center is affiliated as well with Musicians Friend the same apply's here.

Plectrum72 and SJan3 like this.
  10. Al Kraft

Al Kraft Supporting Member

May 2, 2016
    Northern Virginia
    At least at one time, I believe that GC/MF were the exclusive authorized distributors (if that's the correct phrase) of Markbass gear in the US market.

Plectrum72 and SJan3 like this.
  11. gwangi

gwangi

Jul 4, 2009
    Forbidden Valley
    When I've done dealings with Musician's Friend when Inquiring about when the Mark Bass Casa amp is coming out I've been told that Musician's Friend own's or partially own's Mark Bass and this was brought to my attention about 2 or 3 week's ago.

Plectrum72 likes this.
  12. GC not pushing GK is one more reason to buy GK (as if you needed another reason)

13. FingerDub

FingerDub Inactive

Jan 8, 2016
    Hey, great. Now I can go into a GC and shop for Fender basses and amps, Ibanez basses, Schecter, Acoustic and Mark bass amps. For anything else, you must go elsewhere.

Plectrum72 likes this.
  14. joel406

joel406 Suspended

Dec 27, 2013
    Florida
    I only buy from Sweetwater anymore myself. Just last February I bought my GK MBF-800. I won’t step into a guitar center. And from what I understand GC is one of the only Mark Bass dealers around here.

I prefer GK anyway.

15. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    I see plenty of other brands of amps there. The only ones I knew for sure MF/GC had blacklisted was Hartke because of their Sam Ash connection, and Mesa for God knows why. Makes no sense to blacklist GK on the surface. Wonder what happened. Might not have been MF/GC's choice, either. I wonder if GK got stiffed.

Plectrum72, SJan3 and FingerDub like this.
  16. micguy

micguy

May 17, 2011
    It could be GC's initiation, it could be GK's. When a dealer goes into bankruptcy, everyone who has gear in stock at their store(s) is a creditor, even if they've been paid for it, and can be on the hook financially as things get sorted out - if other people haven't been paid, and you have, you can get charged and have to pay back some of what you've been paid to even things out. Not saying that GK pulled out of GC because of this, but given where GC is at present....it's a possible scenario.

17. Low8

Low8 Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2014
    MarkBass is buying GK???!!!! WHAT????!!!!

You read it here first on TalkBass!!! :smug:

18. packhowitzer

packhowitzer 155mm of pure destruction

Apr 20, 2011
    Atlanta
    In 2007 I bought an SVT-2pro and two Mesa PH410s from Guitar Center. I knew the salesman and he gave me about as good of a deal as anybody could get IMO. And while he gave me great prices, during the entire process he was trying to push MarkBass stuff on me. He kept going on and on about how good it was and how much BETTER of a price he could get me than on the 'peg and the mesas. He wasn't super pushy about it, but it definitely made me think there was some extra incentive to GC to sell MarkBass.

FYI- I have nothing against MarkBass. They make great gear- it just wasn't what I was looking for at the time. ymmv

Plectrum72, Al Kraft and SJan3 like this.
  19. Eekum

Eekum

Mar 4, 2013
    Couldn't have said it better myself.

20. packhowitzer

packhowitzer 155mm of pure destruction

Apr 20, 2011
    Atlanta
    The Mesa 410s I bought in 2007 were some of the last Mesa bass stock at GC in the Atlanta area as I recall. I actually got a 115 and two 410s. the second 410 had to be transferred in from Texas because there weren't any more in GA.
    They also had to order my SVT-2pro, but I don't think that's much of a surprise- I've never seen them as much of a regular stock item.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 25, 2022

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.